• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seneye Water Monitoring System

Was not aware of these "refills", calibration fluid?

The slides only last a month Paulo, I think? Theyre about £18 for 3 months worth. so £6 p/m.

He probably means that you have to pay for the replacement slides...

sure it's a bit of a downside but in my opinion it is well worth the money to have accurate readings without having to dig out a test kit which, after a couple of month, may not even be that accurate anyway...

hmm, I don't reckon there's a strong enough need for one to warrant the price tag. I forgot I turned my heater off the other day, didn't realise to the next day, and my house is COLD. like Room temps of about 15-16 degrees at times. All fish were fine, but water was like a cold bath to the touch.

Ammonia - use your head. if your overstocked then your asking for trouble. Managed feeding and good routine will get over the need to 'test'. if your setting up a new tank, put your substrate in and leave it a month before lightly stocking and using common sense to increase. I imagine the BOZO on eBay I've just sent a message to had a ammonia problem with an ANGELFISH in a 30litre biOrb. I wouldn't advise him a 'Seneye Reef', I'd rather offer him a brick to the head.

PAR is of use to be fair though! I quite rate that feature, but I imagine just off the pure fact that PAR meters are so expensive that this could be sub-standard or inaccurate?

Float alarm - If your at work and your tank bursts, 9/10 your fish will all be brown bread before you get home.

Just can't weigh up gains to costs, although its very much each to their own.
I also wouldn't turn down having a go of one.

Cheers.

Different people different choices...
A couple of years ago I had a marine tank, the heater's thermostat failed and in just a day and a half away for work it killed the few fishes I had and did some serious damage to my SPS, the tank never really recovered and I ended up giving what was left to my LFS and gave up the marine tank thing altogether shortly afterwards...
That experience alone makes me apreciate my Seneye today...

Again, you don't NEED a Seneye, you can do well without, but it's a very nice gadget, it brings me peace of mind, and more importantly it brings me comfort! I pull out my phone and there it is: my readings, a history of them, all nicely organised :)

As for the guy on ebay...I don't know what to say...That anyone could do that to a fish is a disgrace, I have emailed him myself but I agree with Ady: EDUCATION is the way forward...I hope he will have the decency to give the fish to his LFS and sell the tank separately...and yes I am worried about his "other" tanks

Cheers

Different people different choices...
A couple of years ago I had a marine tank, the heater's thermostat failed and in just a day and a half away for work it killed the few fishes I had and did some serious damage to my SPS, the tank never really recovered and I ended up giving what was left to my LFS and gave up the marine tank thing altogether shortly afterwards...
That experience alone makes me apreciate my Seneye today...

Again, you don't NEED a Seneye, you can do well without, but it's a very nice gadget, it brings me peace of mind, and more importantly it brings me comfort! I pull out my phone and there it is: my readings, a history of them, all nicely organised :)

As for the guy on ebay...I don't know what to say...That anyone could do that to a fish is a disgrace, I have emailed him myself but I agree with Ady: EDUCATION is the way forward...I hope he will have the decency to give the fish to his LFS and sell the tank separately...and yes I am worried about his "other" tanks

Cheers

I understand the uses with marine mate, and you put a very valid point across.
Cool, I maybe was a bit hot headed. But it'll be right :lol:

I've often wondered about doing something similar with an Arduino or similar. Main thing will be the cost of any sensors, which I haven't looked into. Certainly pH would be a doddle, I'm not sure about the others. Never followed up the thought since I run only low tech, specifically to keep things low maintenance.

Tue PH refills aren't that bad in price. For me it's tue inconvenience of no direct seneye > wifi router information.
I'm a information geek and would love to check up on the tank every hour when I'm at work.

Tue PH refills aren't that bad in price. For me it's tue inconvenience of no direct seneye > wifi router information.
I'm a information geek and would love to check up on the tank every hour when I'm at work.

Same here, I know there developing a piece of hardware to make this possible though.

Have to say the seneye guys are committed to the cause, I've just had an e-mail exchange over the last couple of hours(yes on a sunday!) with them about solutions to not having to have a PC connected 24/7.

As has been commented previously there is something in the works, more details can be found on their coming soon page

18/12/2012 the first prototype Seneye web servers have been on test for a few months. They allow the Seneye device to be plugged into your router and managed from seneye.me.
I hope we're able to wireless bridge the Seneye to the wifi router without having to directly plug it in.
My tank is no where near the router.

i saw them at Aquatics live and thought it was pretty fancy, and thought it would be just to show of however i have now change the way i see it, i have some spare cash i might buy one.

For those of you worried about it having to be plugged in to a pc so you can receive the alerts there is a little great thing called a raspberry Pi its basically a £25 basic pc, you can set this up on one of the usb ports and have a wireless dongle on the other and just have it on all the time, as its powered by no more than a blackberry phone charger,put it inside your cabinet or just attach it to the back of your tank,
I have one and i'm currently trying to get it to read temperatures through out the day of my Vivarium and plot it in a chart online for remote viewing.

maybe some one with a seneye and a Raspberry Pi could try it!

maybe some one with a seneye and a Raspberry Pi could try it!
I have the Raspberry Pi anyone want to send me a Seneye!! lol

Pi its basically a £25 basic pc
Plus power supply, and wireless card, case maybe, keyboard and mouse if you don't have one! Its not just £25 ;)

I think I'll wait until Seneye come out with a solution ;p
The fish tank and wife already take up much of my time!

Plus power supply, and wireless card, case maybe, keyboard and mouse if you don't have one! Its not just £25
ok maybe not £25 but affordable overall, Paulo let me know if you get your hands on a seneye id be interested to know the outcome, from the quick search i did after reading this post it didn't seem like the seneye software was compatible with anything else but windows but maybe some one with programming experience could make it work ;)

System requirements:

• Windows PC with a wired or wireless network and TCP/IP protocol, Windows XP, Vista 32-/64-bit, Windows 7 32-/64bit.
  • Full speed USB 1.0 port
  • Minimum 1Ghz processor and 128mb RAM
  • Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 9.0+, Firefox 4.0+, Safari 4.0+
  • Download of seneye connect application required from seneye.com

ok maybe not £25 but affordable overall, Paulo let me know if you get your hands on a seneye id be interested to know the outcome, from the quick search i did after reading this post it didn't seem like the seneye software was compatible with anything else but windows but maybe some one with programming experience could make it work ;)

System requirements:

• Windows PC with a wired or wireless network and TCP/IP protocol, Windows XP, Vista 32-/64-bit, Windows 7 32-/64bit.
  • Full speed USB 1.0 port
  • Minimum 1Ghz processor and 128mb RAM
  • Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 9.0+, Firefox 4.0+, Safari 4.0+
  • Download of seneye connect application required from seneye.com

I have Mac but use it on my Windows side of the machine.

I asked Seneye about releasing the protocol and got this response

"We have been asked for the protocol a few times but have not yet released any details. This is something that we may release in time. "

I don't think we'll see anything using seneye running on a raspberryPi it's simply the wrong architecture. You may however be able to use it to bridge the USB over a network to a windows PC elsewhere.

Well WINE has been running to a limited extent on the Pi, so testing whether this software works would be possible, albeit not a definite answer!

Update from Seneye.
Hopefully I'll be included in the beta program and can provide more info.
Screen%20shot%202013-08-15%20at%2019.37.06.png

Back