• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seneye USB parameter sensor

OK Seneye is here... I had multiple dreams and waking up with word Seneye in my head... more later now I am too busy :)

Ok so far I have reef version but it detected home version prompting me to purchase upgrade to reef lol? So I can't take any par readings but it appears every device is the same just something will unlock extras.

Still trying it to get running, I have to pre-soak test strip 24 hours. But reading manual seems for the future this little devil will read GH KH Nitrite Nitrate Chlorine, this is not yet available on test strip. Once it is there it will be perfect CO2 monitor. PH seems to be range from 6.5 to 8

Fales alarm it works now :) Very nice par readings, LUX and even Kelvins I will make measures with photos in the evening I have to work now.. cheers guys.

Do you have to leave it in your tank all the time then? I just want to use it from time to time to check PAR levels etc ...

*edit* doesn't look that big though. I hope they will make a black version, the white one would stand out too much lol. And what about Watt consumption?

If only as PAR meter then you do not need to leave it in tank or do not need any subscription.

ghostsword said:
Radik said:
If only as PAR meter then you do not need to leave it in tank or do not need any subscription.

Do you need the replaceable strip if just used as par meter?

Nope no need. Please enjoy full par meter for just under 100 with no extra cost.

Radik said:
ghostsword said:
Radik said:

Do you need the replaceable strip if just used as par meter?

Nope no need. Please enjoy full par meter for just under 100 with no extra cost.

Now that is worth the purchase! Thanks for replying to the questions.

---

Indeed, finally an affordable PAR meter. Any idea how precise it is? I don't want it as precise as professional equipment but precise enough for the hobbyist without having to guess the PAR levels.

I just tested mine today as well. Had the same problem with it telling me it was a home version when I actually bought a Reef one with PAR meter. Overnight however it changed. Probably something to do with registration.

Apart from the PAR meter I'm extremely disappointed, with the product itself but also the support or should I say the non existent support (there is no contact details, no support email, no reference or help pages). I've never been so frustrated with a piece of gear. There is no explanation or installation manual enclosed. There is nothing on the web site and I had to find the install instructions on their own site by using a Google Search. Once I found it some of the information on it does not correspond to what actually exists. For example it says you can change you settings at any time by logging into their system, which is not true. You can't change your profile or anything. It's not like I'm a technophob either, I'm a qualified network engineer and web developer yet I found their site, device and installation confusing as hell. It doesn't probably help that nothing works as it's supposed to.

However my main issue was with it's functions:

The PH meter is way off by a entire point. My tank is exactly at PH6.5 yet the Seneye tells me it's PH7.4. (I checked, got a PH controller + digital PH meter, both tells me PH is 6.5.)

As far as the Temperature goes, Seneye tells me it's too high and to check their website. Yet my tank is just below 26c so not exactly boiling. There are no support section or reference to high temperatures on their site. Nothing at all about it yet their software clearly tells me to check their site.

Ammonia it's hard to say or check. But seems to fluctuate.

PAR meter seems ok, but again I've got no way to verify it.

I was also extremely disappointed to find out that you have to get a subscription or pay monthly to get it to work. That's very unclear on their product advertisement to the point of being misleading. Not only that, but you can't actually buy another strip (monthly subscription) yet, there is no shop.

In the manual they mention that Seneye+ gives you a monthly strip:

"seneye+ is an optional service that can be purchased from http://www.seneye.com
including delivery to your door."

It might be optional, but without the strip it looks to me like the device won't work. There is even a timer counting down the time until it expires.

If nothing else it's a PAR meter.. how accurate it is I don't know.

Back