• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Self Build Light Unit

Still at the "undecided" stage yet Dean.

I'm swaying towards two of the 10w LED floodlights as they seem easier to get hold of and work with. The only thing that worries me about the LED floodlights are the reports on YouTube that say there is such a variance in the lights and that you don't always get 10w. They have white and black finished ones with a 5660K rating available at Screwfix and was hoping they would be a more reliable buy than the ones on eBay.

These will be mounted roughly 200mm above the tank. I'll build the unit so the height can easily be adjusted up or down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo, really appreciated.

I've just ordered 2x10w Slimline Floodlights rated at 6000k from a company I found on Google that has a Birmingham address. I'll let everyone know what the lights are like when they arrive.

Last edited:
I made an LED light unit for my propagator. 20W 6500k, I plan using this setup when I finally get an aquascape on the way!

Never having used LED Floodlights, can I ask how hot the one over the plants in your propagator gets, both the glass and the casing? The seems to be a heatsink built in to the casing on most of the lights.

I made an LED light unit for my propagator. 20W 6500k, I plan using this setup when I finally get an aquascape on the way!
f92aa5f4e1fbe29cf0c213758f62a8a1.jpg

How did you make the light fitting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received two of the Slimline 10w floodlights from a company called Lighting Ever. I fitted both with plugs to see if they worked and, as this is my first time with LEDs, I can't believe how bright they are.

I got off to a pretty bad start with Lighting Ever Dean. I ordered the lights and paid extra for next day delivery, unfortunately, the lights never turned up. Looking on their Facebook page, I first noticed the main company seemed to be in America and the UK one operated out of Birmingham. There were a number of "moans" on their page about returns and late delivery so I started to get a bit worried.

The lights arrived a day late and so far, I'm pleased with what I've got. Not as cheap as some off of eBay but they look OK to my inexperienced eye.

Take a look at the images below and follow these links for more info...
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/led-flood-lights-wattage-and-how-many.32709/
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/led-on-the-cheap.28096/

ledflood-jpg.jpg

ledflood20w-jpg.jpg

I built these a few years ago now but they worked really well...
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/led-30watt-6500k-security-light-ebay.29235/#post-305145

But as I've mentioned before you'd probably be better off with an off the shelf unit with a dimmer, especially for a low-energy set up...LEDs are much cheaper and controllable now.

diyled_zps47aac461-jpg.jpg

Thanks Dean. Very stylish, they look really nice clean units, only wish there were a few more details on their site.

Back