• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seachem Purigen

dougbraz

Hopefully this is the right section for this question:
My 120litre tank is ultra low tech after a re-build/re-scape as I had enough of excess dust every time I looked at the tank because of (shocker) ADA Amazonia soil. Anyway, that is no longer a problem, most duly removed or topped off/covered with Seachem Flourite black sand. Hardy simple plants all in place, so no problems there. When I was buying the new plants, etc, the LFS guy told me that I should NOT use Purigen for extended periods of time as it tended to extract - not only dirt - but also some beneficial chemicals that the plants needed.
Pre-redo, even though there was dust all over the plants and hardscape (here just the last few months), the actual water was absolutely crystal clear (I used Purigen 24/7 for 3 years) and the plants, all low tech, were just fine apart from being covered in said dust.
Post-redo, all is fine BUT the water is not as crystal clear/polished looking as before. Am I correct in attributing the clarity to Purigen and should I go back to using it full time? I am only dosing with Seachem Flourish, trying to keep it simple.
Thanks for any indications.
Cheers
Doug

Hey there, there is a nice post somewhere which talks about Purigen features, what it is and how it compares to carbon. IMO it is not different from carbon and is as good as carbon for removing tannins and medicine chemicals. That’s pretty much it. In my experience I had two scapes without Purigen and one with Purigen. All three went through all the same phases of algae in maturing fish tank. All three were high energy heavily planted tanks but best clarity was achieved using internal filter as it was so easy to pop it open and rinse the sponges on weakly basis. Now I have removed the Purigen from my external for tank medical treatment and I’m not intended to put it back ever. So not sure what to do with it as it was only regenerated twice.

Cheers

By the way this is grown using Purigen and all plants are looking pretty well

IMG_7393.jpeg

Back