• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scape opinions please

Danny

I am so used to setting up 100kg of ocean rock that now trying to set up a couple of rocks with a mind to planting around them etc is killing me lol

I just get brain dead when I try and get some ideas of how it will look with plants grown in, any ideas on rock placement welcome.

Tank is 120x60x76 lwh, main centre rock is approx 30kg so massive lol
DSCF5408-1.jpg

I would suggest adding lots more substrate behind the rocks to add more depth and altogether make the scape more interesting :) Also those flat rocks will disappear under plants such as HC. Good start though mate! ;)

When adding substrate, move the main stone a little more off center so the balance is correct and maybe add another stone because 4 looks a little unnatural, you'll see what i mean :p Good luck!

HarryRobinson said:
I would suggest adding lots more substrate behind the rocks to add more depth and altogether make the scape more interesting :) Also those flat rocks will disappear under plants such as HC. Good start though mate! ;)

When adding substrate, move the main stone a little more off center so the balance is correct and maybe add another stone because 4 looks a little unnatural, you'll see what i mean :p Good luck!

Cheers, lol the tops of those flat rocks are about 6" above the substrate. I will be using ( trying to use ) Glossostigma Elatinoides for the carpet in the main area in front of the rocks and maybe a moss top to the flat rocks as a grazing area for shrimp.

The back is already about 7" deep of sand, do not really want to go to deep with it although I will have MTS and prod it myself to help stop it going anaerobic.

The foreground up to the rocks has 1" dirt and 1" sand which will be my main planting area
DSCF5397.jpg

I've got to agree with Harry here. The rock may look slightly odd being the same level or slightly higher than the carpet, maybe try pushing the back of the right hand rock into the rock into the substrate to create abit of a more dramatic view.

The piece on the left hand side is perfect though in my opinion, very nice use of a boarder.

The only other thing I would have a play around with is the small rock stuck up vertically, looks abit out of place. Try placing it infront of the main rocks pointing slightly towards the glass?

Always worth getting the foundations just right and playing around for awhile, because if you want to change it around after planting, its alot more difficult.

Will be a nice layout though!

The top of the two flat rocks is about 6" above the substrate so with a 2" carpet will be approx 4"....I got rid of that small vertical piece just did not fit in lol I will get some decent pics of the height of the flat rocks tonight so you can actually see what I mean about their height lol I have about 7" of sand behind them already.....

This is the tank right now, just took a quick pic as was taking a pic of the top to play with my spray bar idea
tank.png

If your concerned about not piling it to high buy some biomax Bags and place them underneath the substrate, this will allow for you to get some height on the background without allowing for anaerobic catastrophes. Am I right in thinking your using sand? Unless this sand is disturbed on a regular basis your sand will try its up most to turn anaerobic anyway due the lack of flow and water movement around the grains. I like your positioning though danny..

Try the biomax trick. This will add depth and safetey to your scape. Biomax is filtration elements that is inert, allowing free flow and will not alter your pH level. Your rock is clearly slate, well the big one is anyway! Slate will throw your pH levels absolutely sky high. I knew this because I chose the exact same rock as you for my first tank and had to rescape After killing all twenty five shrimp I had. It was a nightmare :-\ I hope this doesn't happen to you! I even had all Ada substrates to try and keep the water buffered but no luck. A few others have had this issue also..

I hope you get things sorted buddy. Looking forward to seeing your results :)

Jack

Loooooooooooooooong story mate but the Mrs played a big part in it, so glad I have lol Still have my 2ft FW that is coming along really well will have to get some updated pics of that.

Back