• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Salvinia help

Sarah Evans

Seedling
My Salvinia keeps dying / leaves go brown in my semi low tech EI dosed tank. Would condensation cause it to die please?

I also dose liquid carbon. I’ve turned down the flow too.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Condensation droplets can damage leaf structure, which in turn tends to rot the leaves!
If you have snails they will eat the underside of the leaves and also lay eggs there....damaging the plant:rage::grumpy:
hoggie

I have it in tanks with closed lids doing fine, it might be more the splashing/being driven under water if you have a lot of flow - it doesn't like that.

Thank you both - I’ve turned flow down so I’ll see how it goes. All other plants are good but I can’t keep Salvinia alive!

I don’t have snails other than a few Asassins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If these leaves are on the edge of the plant, I've found that they can be pushed underwater from their own growth/current - killing the leaves.

Mainly too much current is usually the problem. I tried them on 3 different tanks and they only did well in the one with the lowest flow and no air pump (which splashes droplets of water on top of the floaters).

Back