• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

S Repens help.. dying from one area?

Nick Norman

Hi,

I am new to the hobby, my first tank. I have got a lot of info from ukaps, was hoping you can help me with this.

I am in the process of a fishless cycle day 29. I planted the tank 2 weeks ago.

All of the plants seam to be growing OK until 2 days ago, one of the s repens was black and 1 or 2 leaves of the plant next to it was black. the next morning more of the neighbouring plant was dying. I did a big water change to bring the nitrite to a readable level and removed the dead s repens and re planted. This morning i have found that the re planted s repens in the same area is dying. When i took them out the leaves have gone mushy. Any idea to what it is? What should i do? i am worried that it is going to keep spreading.

Tank info:

Tank holds 120L
Ammonia 0 ppm (within 24 hours dosing daily)
Nitrite over 5 ppm (have been bringing it down to 5 ppm with WC)
Nitrate 30 - 40 ppm (same as tap water)
PH 7.4

sunsun 302 canister filter (1000L hour)
aquabar 2 x 500mm LED's

Plants:
Dwarf Hairgrass
S Repens
Anubia nana
various cryptocoryne

Dosing daily:
Liquid carbon
Easy Life Profito
using seachems prime when doing WC

S Repens Dying.jpg

Tank.jpg

I would suspect ammonia leaching from the substrate. What I would do is add some floating along with some quick growing pants in order to soak up excess nutrients and speed up the cycling process.

Though it could be ammonia from the substrate. I had a spike of ammonia at the end of the 1st week from the substrate then it went to 0 by the middle of the second week so i started dosing ammonia to 2 ppm each day to make sure the bacteria had ammonia to eat. Should i stop adding ammonia?

I will get some water sprite to soak up extra nutrients.

Hi Nick
You don't need to dose ammonia....check out your other plants for root damage!
Remove the repens from the substrate and leave them floating for a few weeks!
Purchase Ludwigia or Water Sprite both can be used as a floater........add a stem to the substrate and check on root damage every few days!
hoggie

S. repens can be a very difficult bugger, i tried for many months and couldn't make it survive and the only one i got left is emersed in a wk, it didn't even want to grow emersed above my open top tank.. Something in my water parameters it doesn't like.. I have to guess what it is, realy no idea.. Search Barr repport forum, Tom wrote few articles about the difficulties of S repens, he also had his issues with this plant. :)

There are more plant sp. i just cannot grow for what ever reason, Pogestemon Helfiri, Bolbitis heteroclita are among them.. If everything else is doing ok, then you might be better off with just leave those sp. behind, rather then keep trying to adjust parameters to much, just for one difficult bugger in the tank.. Admit you're beaten, cry a little, lick your wounds and go on with another sp. that is greatfull with the surrounding you can provide it. :thumbup:

I will stop adding ammonia.

The other plants roots seem to be ok. I also have Bacopa Caroliniana that i forgot to list, there roots seem OK.

Should I only float the s repens from that area as the rest are OK?

Thanks for your replies.

yeah don't touch the good plants! S repens is very temperamental.

Back