• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Royal Mail

PARAGUAY

Think it was said at the time, but the government and Vince Cable didn't listen-leave Royal Mail alone, well from a profitable £324 million and valued at £10 billion it was sold at knock down price, even allowing for tech emails and online it should still be a viable and needed company and profitable. Why then does the mistake fall on to employees who will be made redundant and the public who see saturday delivery no more

To be fair the volume of post is a lot less than it used to be, so potential profitability is much reduced
The cost of sending a 1st class letter is a joke these days, and the chance of it arriving next day negligible
Should never have been privatised
Same with utilities
The management of these companies are
Dodgy, inept, greedy, dishonest, take your pick

Think it was said at the time, but the government and Vince Cable didn't listen-leave Royal Mail alone, well from a profitable £324 million and valued at £10 billion it was sold at knock down price, even allowing for tech emails and online it should still be a viable and needed company and profitable. Why then does the mistake fall on to employees who will be made redundant and the public who see saturday delivery no more

I thought the problem with Royal Mail is that its profitable in some areas (aka rich urban areas) and unprofitable in other areas (less dense areas) but its charter requires it to serve the whole of the UK. Its sort of like the problem of transport companies having to operate unprofitable bus and train routes.

Some of the problems stem from huge Mailing Companies like UKMail/CitiPost....paying a pittance to have their Mail processed and delivered by Royal Mail.
DSA "Down Stream Access"
I'm going back a tad but 11.9 pence per letter rings alarm bells.....the regulator and the government are to blame for the mess the business is in.

Other Delivery Firms Cherry Picking the most profitable routes.

There have been huge changes to the infrastructure at Royal Mail over the last 15 years.
Huge Mail Centres have been built or rented....to do away with smaller Mail Centres......these new Mail Centres cover vast areas of the UK.
Old Sorting offices/Delivery Offices are being closed and incorporated within these new Mail Centres.

Postal delivery times have changed....9am delivery.
Every piece of Mail in the delivery office must be delivered same day.

Staff being shunted from one area of the Mail Centres to others to deal with vast amounts of parcel/packet volumes left over from previous shifts.
Redundancies....have been ongoing as the business is streamlining and reducing costs, but Parcels/Packets increase year by year.

Tracked Parcel Machines/Large Flat Letter Machines, 10s of thousands of PDA's.....scanners, all have been bought including multiple £1million pound ILSM "Intelligent Letter Sorting Machines" which can process 40,000 letters an hour.
This is twice as fast as the old Letter Sorting Machines.

Batch Mailing/Sequence Walk sorting.....this process sorts letters by delivery route.
Tracked Packages 24/48, Online Web purchases, the list goes on.....the volume of Social Mail has dropped especially Christmas Cards over the last 10 years!
Therefore revenue will be impacted..... Royal Mail has changed dramatically and the staff did/have been willing to change the business for the good of the business and the UK.

The business shouldn't have been Privatised, just like the Utilities .....Joe Public always pay in the end with their hard-earned cash!
When you have the likes of those charlatans that were supposed to be the Head of the business Rico Back/Adam Crozier/Moya Greene it says it all.
They turned Royal Mail into a disjointed Frankenstein.

Royal Mail is an institute not just a business!

Last edited:
NHS protective clothing anyone
Even Arthur Daley would be embarrassed
Well, a few were rubbing their hands with glee, anticipating a fortune off good ole Joe Bloggs!

What gets me is that the man (or woman) in the street, thinks that the people running the country must know what they are doing, and are generally more intelligent than themselves
Doh
Liz Truss anyone 😂😂
They (the government) carry on as if nobody can see how absolutely useless, and dishonest they are
What should happen (but never will, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas), is that many of them should do some time behind bars
Rant over 😂😂😂

Can confirm.
Source: I work for government, 10 years in. Did 12 years in the NHS prior.
Started a happy and functional human now am on a cocktail of medication and therapy.
Can relate to the French Revolution.

Off with their heads 😂😂😂
Tantamount to treason so below would be the appropriate punishment!
1706216008919.jpeg

hoggie

I guess it’s always been the same. But it seems particularly bad atm. All these public services should never have been privatised. They should be run as nonprofit organisations, with surplus reinvested in the service and used to keep prices low. Instead the profits are used to pay exorbitant bonuses and dividends, or simply lost through incompetence, inefficiency and corruption.

Either way, a huge amount of money is siphoned off, compromising reinvestment. Inevitably the business begins to fail and has to be bailed out by the public purse. Ultimately, the consumer gets fleeced with both higher prices and higher taxes to make up the shortfall. Meanwhile, fat-cats have their cake and get to eat it.

The knock on effect is that the government can’t afford to fund local councils properly. Local councils then have to put up taxes to stay afloat. We then find ourselves in the situation where we are paying more tax so local councils can employ more people to administer tax increases. Meanwhile public services continue to fail. The whole situation strikes me as somewhat ironic and perverse?

I wouldn't bash Royal Mail they are still far superior than the rest!
Especially Evri......who falsely claimed my Parcel from M&S was delivered......I kicked up a right stink and fuss!

Last edited:
Especially Evri......who falsely claimed my Parcel from M&S was delivered......I kicked up a right stink and fuss!
Evri are the worst. A lot of deliveries go missing in transit, and in our area they once hired someone who had been sacked by their previous employer for….stealing parcels. On his 3rd day at Evri he claimed to have delivered everything on his van, but nicked the lot.

Last edited:
Back