• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Round indoor pond project queries.

MichaelJ

In an uncovered aquarium a person coming up too fast looks to the fish like a predator underwater also and where to go but up and away?
I get that - and for some easily startled (possibly not thriving) fish it may not work - it's just not a very common scenario... My fish do not get spooked that way at all... they actually get curious when someone (including boisterous kids) walks up to my tanks... My Cichlids (Dwarf and Angels) and Ember Tetras (which are prone to be shy) in particular are always very curious about what is going on :) ... my other tetras are more reserved - playing hard to get I suppose :lol:, but never freaks out or try to 'escape'.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

sciencefiction

I actually had 2 clown loaches jump out to their death but that was in the span of the last 10 years. Both cases were when they were recently enough put in a tank. The first one was shortly after I moved the clowns to the pond, providing they had spend their time in another open top glass tank with no jumping but I think they needed time to settle in the new surrounding and that particular loach was super friendly and hyper active. Very sad. I had had him for a good few years. The second time was a newly purchased, again very hyper active baby clown loach, the reason I had picked him in the shop, he jumped out of his quarantine tank, also open top. I was devastated.

Apart from that, zilch jumping of fish in open top tanks. I have 2 open top tanks with hillstream loaches and a tub with a weather loach, open top, another with kuhli loaches, also open top, etc...No one ever jumps out. So in my opinion, they only jump out when stressed, either water conditions, stress from being moved, tank mates, etc....I'd be worried if I start getting jumping fish on a regular basis.

MichaelJ

in my opinion, they only jump out when stressed, either water conditions, stress from being moved, tank mates, etc....I'd be worried if I start getting jumping fish on a regular basis.
Totally agree. Comes down to judgement, preference etc. I have my lid on because I want to limit evaporation, have my light fixture resting on top of the tank, and to a much lesser extent, although it factors in, out of fear of loosing fish jumping or shrimps crawling out - as for my shrimps, mine would have plenty of opportunities to pack up their suitcases and crawl out if they wanted too as 3 inches at the back is wide open for my HOB filters with cords etc. providing easy access to the world outside.
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Stan510

Also- you can get an explosion of fins when the fish can see you as easily as you can see them. A dark room helps keep fish like Discus from spooking. Spook an Arowana and its water everywhere and a broken top cover.
My Rainbows since I bought them have never been netted in three years now. So they are not easily spooked and know that the sound of a plastic container place on the top means- FOOD! But still,I did lose one to the granddaughter doing what kids like to do - see the fish swim for their lives:eek: So much fun.:happy: She has outgrown that..now for her little sister to learn.

John q

If your fish are jumping out of the tank then re assess your fish keeping skills, when I approach my tank (day or night) its akin to a scene from heaven almighty.. 🙃

Stan510

Wow,that's a wrong opinion If I ever saw one. Maybe you never get visitors? Also,I'm giving you about 50 years of fishkeeping of all types. I've seen pro's take photos of their open top tanks with Mollies or Swordtails..and they admit they lose them every now and then.
If you never had any setbacks- how can you give advice?

sciencefiction

One of my old internal filters, a Fluval, finally gave up yesterday after 11 years. It just would not turn back on. I was using it on one of the tubs that only holds kuhli loaches at the moment. Unfortunately in the process I also flushed a kuhli loach down the drain by accident. It was in the internal filter:mad: Devastated.

The filter got replaced though. I had a small Eheim external which I never got around setting up. I have to buy a couple of spare heaters also, just to have as I was thinking I don't have any spare ones..

I am uploading a video I took today from the pond, will post later, not that anything has changed since last time... :) I was once asked why exactly do I find fish interesting....Tough question, you can't tell weather I took the video today or a year ago for example. Things only change when tanks get re-arranged or one buys new fish. I don't do either very often.....

Stan510

I got this today from the almighty algorithm. Nice indoor ponds from cow troughs.
Not many indoor tropical fish ponds on youtube. Too bad because a fish room large enough for them is a worthwhile project. I even saw that somebody is selling a camera that can be kept underwater 24/7 and you can then "see" them as if it is an aquarium on your chosen method either device or monitor/TV.

sciencefiction

Not many indoor tropical fish ponds on youtube.
Probably because there aren't too many. I think indoor ponds definitely don't look as good as having a glass aquarium :D Most people like observing the fish all the time. I like that too, but like I've mentioned before, I had times when I had to crawl near the floor approaching the tank to see the clown loaches. In the pond yesterday I stuck my hands with the camera low in the water and although the fish were cautious, they didn't pay that much attention to me. The non-transparent sides definitely help them feel more secure despite the intrusions. To me that matters more than being able to watch the fish all day long.

Stan510

A indoor pond usually has a different goal. So its apple and oranges plus most people wouldn't know how to make a good indoor pond.
I once set up a 10' round 2' deep pool outdoors for summer..and it was nice to see tropicals rising like trout to grab food.
Indoor ponds and large aquariums..best of both worlds.