• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotting Plant Stem Disease

Nealeg

I have a 30 Ltr planted tank that is 14 days into a Total Fish-less Cycle . I am using two substrates from JBL - Aquabasis Plus which is a a long term nutrient and that is topped off with JBL Manado Natural Substrate. Water treatments are daily dosage of Easycarbo, weekly dosage of Tropica Plant Growth Fertiliser containing Nitrogen and phosphorus and also a dose every other day of Filter Start beneficial bacteria. Water temp 26c - pH 7.5 - GH 180 - KH 40 amonia < 0.25 - nitrite 3 still waiting nitrate reading.

I have five different plants all purchased from The Green Machine. My problem is with one of the plants "Cryptocoryne Beckettii Petchii". When I bought this plant it was in a pot with the roots encased in mineral wool. I removed as much of the wool as possible and separated the roots to give me three individual plants. After about tens days of being planted in the substrate I notice that although there were signs of new leaf growth some of the mature stems had developed what I can best describe as "a shredded stem rot" halfway up the stem but the leaf on the stem didn't appear to be suffering. Subsequently after a few days the leaf and stem broke away and floated to the surface. On removing the leaf it looked reasonably healthy apart from a slight browning to one side of its edge. I have researched and discounted the possibility of "Cryptocoryne Disease" as this is reported to affect the leaf, not the stem. Any Idea's on what this could be would be appreciated.

The socalled "cryptocoryne disease" can affect both the leave and the leaf-stem. Unfortunately this is very common behavior for Cryptocoryne. They are actually extreme adaptable plants, but the leaves that are already there are not. Therefore the plant will often abort established leaves when moved to new conditions........... and grow new leaves that are better adapted to these new conditions. Fore reasons unknown to me they're more likely to melt, when moved from underwater to underwater, than if moved from grown over water to a life underwater. Sometimes (but not allways) it's possible to stop "crypt. disease" by quickly removing all affected leaves.
Hope this info will help you. So don't give up on your crypts. since they're surely gonna regrow.
Mick 🙂

Back