• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala macrandra - help me diagnose

maboleth

Rotala macrandra before pruning was nice and reddish. Then I cut the stems and replanted the top shots.

The result, you can see. New leaves are really bad. That's the only plant showing any kind of suffering in my tank.

Quick info (at the time of measurement, 7 days after ferts dosage): 250l tank, 5mg NO3, 1mg PO4, CO2 25mg. Light T5 39wx2 Arcadia Pro Plant & Freshwater.

Normally I run 3x39w, but I switched off the 3rd T5 two months ago to help me control the algae and to combat Cyano, which is now extinct. There's no algae (only nicely green variant on rocks), so I thought I reached a balance between the light, ferts and CO2.
However, Rotala macrandra didn't show any kind of necrosis/whitish stuff/holes with 2x39. This happened about 6-7 days after I replanted the top shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20170531_001902fb.jpg
    IMG_20170531_001902fb.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 323
Good morning friend.

You shouldn't have changed your setup cause it was running nicely in balance.
I recommend to put it back again.

Cut the plant a little more.

And do this:
Buy a Osram led focus of 6500 k and 500 lumens and light it on the plant for 6 hours along with the 39w you have to give it a boost for the next 30 days.

One of these.

7701a738446b84efb81e95ab47f09760.jpg

Enviado do meu SM-A510F através de Tapatalk

But those green on the rocks are something to worry. You may use 3 times 39w but in a upper stand. And also do a WC Twice a week of 30 to 40% instead of a 50%.weekly.

And you'll see results.

Note: After the plant recover took out that osram and start with those 39w as i said with Twice WC.

Thanks Paulo!

Your idea makes sense and I'd gladly use it, however I have a closed system. No room for more lights, especially not the oval bulb-type.
But, I've used your idea for the existing lighting system that I have. I started the 3rd 39w but covered 60% of the bulb with the aluminum foil. The result is very similar - the "spot light" goes to the affected plants and around them. Should be good.

The green carpet algae on the big rocks looks very beautiful and natural. Besides, my Danube Nerita snails gladly eat it like a salad so no need to worry.

Rotala macrandra is a very sensitive plant in my experience. You say you have planted the tops but I can say that the leaf shape along the stem is not normal growth which would indicate problems before the trim. A deficiency perhaps.

I've yet to get this plant to grow well. I've just restarted my tank with a new outlook so I will be trying it again in the future.

Rotala macrandra is a very sensitive plant in my experience. You say you have planted the tops but I can say that the leaf shape along the stem is not normal growth which would indicate problems before the trim. A deficiency perhaps.

You're right that the leaves behind the top ones weren't looking good in terms of shape, however those along the stem were green but ok. I know because I had a good success with this plant when it was growing under the full light. It was lush and red.

The problem is fixed. Insufficient lighting was probably the main culprit.

Back