• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO vs Tap

Pixies

Hi. A bit of background first:
I started (like many, I guess) as wanting to keep an aquarium for fish. I wasn't particularly interested in plants to start with, although I knew I didn't want plastic decorations. This was 15 years ago. Now over the years the plants have increased.

I always had trouble with algae (mainly green hair). I'm in Edinburgh so the water is very soft, it's also quite high in Phosphate. My son was dabbling in a marine reef tank so was getting RODI water from the local shop. After some very limited reading and advice, I started using RO water myself, with JBL Aquadur - and things improved greatly. For years I carried on like this and after a few tank upgrades I've still been using it. However, at the start of this year the green hair came back with a vengeance and I couldn't get it out of the Java moss and driftwood. I eventually relented and completely stripped out everything and started a fresh tank. I'm wanting to have more plants now and after finally researching online (here mainly) realise that this will be my main defence against algae. Also, I see that phosphate isn't the great evil with a planted tank.

I'm staying lo-tech and the substrate is inert. Perhaps I would have used something else if I had committed to a planted tank before redoing it. It's a Superfish Home 85 litre.

Anyway - to my question, eventually: what water should I use?

My tap water (after 4 hour degassing) is: kH:1, gH:2.5, pH:7, phos:4.8ppm, TDS:40
As an example, my tank water before my weekly 50% water change is: nitrate: 10ppm, kH:5, gH:7, pH:7.5, phos:0.05ppm, TDS:200

Is it worth considering going back to using tap water? It is very soft and lacking in TDS. Perhaps using a mix of my usual RO/Aquadur with some tap? Or perhaps even just using tap with Aquadur (or similar)?

Cheers

Interesting. You can see how the plants are taking up the phosphate as your tank water is lower than your tap (assuming measurements are accurate and reliable). Do you fertilise, adding P and K? No need for P.

If I had tap water like yours I’d not bother with RO.

Last edited:
Interesting. You can see how the plants are taking up the phosphate as your tank water is lower that your tap (assuming measurements are accurate and reliable). Do you fertilise, adding P and K? No need for P.

If I had tap water like yours I’d not bother with RO.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not using tap water in the tank currently. The pre-water-change figures above are for my usual RO + Aquadur.

Back