• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ripple Tank

Took me all night but I got sand substrate and plants into the tank. I also put together an in-tank filter design I've had in mind.

Instagram reel...

Pics...

491FF787-9A5D-4A8C-B21C-70009DF91A0D.jpg

5B7255D2-0ECB-45F2-B18B-0D1DDCE3F00E.JPG

3E12A248-EC08-462B-A5DF-303FE3DFAC82.JPG

1E4614F5-97F0-454A-91AE-2577D225F226.JPG

25F2F86E-5195-4275-A3DA-9F530569343F.jpg

Last edited:
A perfect ripple every time :) @hydrophyte we salute you :) very interesting concept. Soon enough you will have enough pieces to host your own gallery!

It's a work of art. Should be in the Tate Modern.

It really is possibly the most unique piece of art I've ever seen!

A perfect ripple every time :) @hydrophyte we salute you :) very interesting concept. Soon enough you will have enough pieces to host your own gallery!

Thanks so much for following along!

I'm eager to hang up the Kessil for clearer ripple shadows and reflections. I'll try to have more updates on the way soon.

Made some headway with the electronics...

9-VIII-23-ripple-tank-I.jpg

The mini screen will display a rotary encoder menu with digital HIGH & LOW and current for the electromagnet.

It was quite a tight fit making the connections on that 1/2-breadboard. I still have to fit three more on there for the electromagnet power, ground and signal...

9-VIII-23-ripple-tank-II.jpg

Unfortunately, I purchased the wrong flex cable connector for the screen, so I wasn't able to power it up yet. I ordered the correct one and now just waiting for that to come with the mail.

This will all just slide into the section of 80/20 above the ripple generator nice and tidy...

9-VIII-23-ripple-tank-III.jpg

I've started on another new project involving microbially-mediated precipitation of CaCO3 and rock formation, but this one is going to be freshwater.

This is going to be another view-from-above aquascape in a shallow tank and I have my eye on these two enclosures...

UNS 60S - 10 Gallon Ultra Clear Rimless Aquarium

UNS 45S - 5 Gallon Ultra Clear Rimless Aquarium

I'm building a 10-series 80/20 aluminum stand for this like the shelf setup I have with my wave machine tank...

6-II-23-Plastic-Beach-I.jpg

The 60S tank is 23.62" X 14.17" X 7.09". I should be able brace up the 10-series (1" X 1") aluminum to make it strong enough for 10 gallons of water with other stuff, but I think it will look spindly in those dimensions, so I'm leaning more toward the 45S (17.71" X 11.02" X 7.09"). It would also be a good idea to make a couple of CAD models to compare. Maybe I'll do that in the middle of the night at some point.

1-VIII-23-stromatolites-I.jpg

In contrast with 2-part calcium & alkalinity dosing for the stromatolite tank (above), this new project will use a calcium reactor with CO2. I like the idea of visible hardware so the stand will be open underneath with a view of the reactor and cylinder. I wondered about a canister filter also, but I'm disinclined to run a new canister with water near calcium saturation, so I'll probably just try to hide an economy internal filter instead.

I put them together and the reactor + CO2 cylinder with regulator fit OK in the smaller 17" X 11" footprint I would have under the smaller tank. The only other things I would need to accommodate under there would be a dosing pump and maybe a pH monitor if I decide to use a probe..

B7BD6020-100E-4C04-A795-0181443B3227.JPG

Last edited:
This thing is pretty cool...

The SOARS uses a paddle wave generator in combination with blowers to move air around simulating winds. But I've also wondered about aquarium wave or ripple generation with air flow. This could energize the tank with anything-but-impeller water motion and indeed without any machinery touching the water at all. CPU fans would be the easiest solution, but I have looked into mini air compressors as well. Apparently there's no such thing as a silent air compressor, but some of the airbrush compressor are apparently only moderately noisy. I don't how they would hold up with continuous or very frequent operation(?)...

AVANTIAirbrush Compressor Combo Kit

Back