• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ripple Tank

hydrophyte

Ripple Tank

This is a continuation of another discussion where I explained a few steps in developing a water ripple mechanism for use with an aquarium, a project in turn following my water wave machine as kinetic water sculpture integrated with a planted aquascape.

Like wave tanks, ripple tanks are captivating to watch while also being widely used in education and research to demonstrate and test physical principles and fluid dynamics. Check out this fascinating video demonstrating a water tank at in a University of Nottingham laboratory used to study gravitation waves and black holes....

It's so interesting that they are able to model dynamics at such vast spatial and temporal scales with plain water!

The design I have built uses an electromagnet to actuate a length of rod with an up-and-down motion and create ripples with a dipper, the round white bead, positioned at the water surface.

15-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-V.jpg

The electromagnet pulls the steel collar attached to the rod, while the steel spring and elastic band enable fine tuning of the rod motion. Electromagnet amperage and speed is controlled with an Arduino hooked up with power, ground and signal connections.

Last night I installed the mechanism with one of my 24" X 24" shallow square tanks. Here's a quick Instagram reel showing operation...

It's pretty clear that for a very good view of the ripples propagating across the tank, most of the center area should remain open with bare sand...

15-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-III.jpg

15-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-IV.jpg

My aquascape plan is just a basic submerged root hardscape assembled with a few spiderwood pieces and rounded basalt stones. I'm going to cut a couple inches from the bases of those wood pieces to open up the middle of the tank some more. The light is also hung in a provisional way and when I move it to suspend directly over the middle of the tank, that will likewise bring the ripple shadows and reflections closer to the middle with more space...

16-VII-23-ripple-tank-II.jpg

16-VII-23-ripple-tank-I.jpg

I'll attach bases to the spiderwood pieces to hold them down in a more sturdy way. With my Dremel tool I can also shape those cut root ends for a more natural appearance. I also need to track down a bag of sugar-sized aragonite sand for a 1" layer covering the tank bottom.

There is also a plan for a few plants nestled in among the roots. This scape could just be enjoyed as a simple planting and kinetic water sculpture, but I think a few nano fish would look good with it. My current favorite idea is a dozen or so White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but it will be a while before I add any livestock.

Thanks for reading! I will try to have more updates on the way pretty soon.

Attachments

• 15-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-I.jpg
    15-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-I.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The planting will primarily be these Cryptocoryne lucens to nestle in amongst the root structure in the background. I've planted them in Tank Planters to keep the sand nice and clean.. They can't really spread at all, but crypts grow well in these...

16-VII-23-ripple-tank-III.jpg

The foliage had melted off in the rather neglected tank where I was keeping them, but the roots and rhizomes are healthy and sound so I'll just need to wait for the leaves to sprout anew.

This project is as much as anything about the ripple reflections and shadows cast onto the tank bottom and the ceiling above. I'm wondering about whether a white sand bottom will really make the clearest definition or not. With the white sand diffusely reflecting, it might actually wash out the ripples. So I also wonder about black or dark grey sand. I might try to track down a bag of this stuff...

Seachem - Gray Coast

I'm going to hang the Kessil A80 Tuna Sun right over the middle of the tank as a pendant. For being a high-end light, it doesn't have a lot of hardware mount options and apparently there is no pendant kit, but I think I have something figured out....

18-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-I.jpg

18-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-II.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, looks like the ship to the UK too!

They look like they are made from quite rigid plastic, like perspex, is that right? Does the lid clip on or screw on?

The lid screws on. The plastic is like a clear PET material. The substrate is included with the 4-pack and it's like an Aquasoil pelletized soil.

Wasn't Aquaverdi your baby @hydrophyte or am I getting my names and companies muddled?

Yes that's right. 😉

The Tank Planters work real nice for situations like this. Although some plants do not like to be in such a small pot. Crypts however do grow well in them.

Thanks, looks like the ship to the UK too!

They look like they are made from quite rigid plastic, like perspex, is that right? Does the lid clip on or screw on?
did you get as far as seeing the cost of delivery? I put some in the basket and went to the checkout to see, but you have to fill in all your details before you get a shipping quote. At $21 for 4 I'd have a punt if the shipping is reasonable. Possible combined order for several of us?

did you get as far as seeing the cost of delivery? I put some in the basket and went to the checkout to see, but you have to fill in all your details before you get a shipping quote. At $21 for 4 I'd have a punt if the shipping is reasonable. Possible combined order for several of us?
For a group order, maybe also send me a PM and I will look for the lowest shipping rate I can find so you can get the best value.

Hey but how about these ripples?! It makes ripples!

15-VII-23-Ripple-Tank-I.jpg

Last edited:
While I wait for the plants to grow back and for the stain to leach out of the spiderwood and while I decide on a sand substrate, I should try to figure out more interesting electromagnet program options; just a plain single speed will get boring.

One option would be a more varied program with fast and slow ripple generation to run on a loop, but some kind of user interface would be more fun. Rotary encoders for varying the digitalWrite HIGH and LOW delays as well as electromagnet current could be a nice solution. I've never hooked up rotary encoders before and I guess they can get pretty complex, but here's a board with its own chip and space for four encoders lined up together that should simplify the problem....

Do the ripples reflect back from the edge of the tank? You could make some cool interactions if they do.

Back