• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ripple Tank - Plane Waves

hydrophyte

Ripple Tank - Plane Waves

I might have put this discussion over in the Hardware & DIY section, but I think the aquascape evolution might be interesting, so I'm posting here as a journal instead.

This project is a continuation in series of setups incorporating physics principles and mechanical devices with model ecosystems...

Gantry Water Ripple Generator
Ripple Tank
Plastic Beach - Water Wave Machine

The core idea is to specifically engage the water itself as a dynamic aquascape element along with the live plants, substrates and livestock.

The mechanism for the current project is very simple: a small electric motor spinning an eccentric weight energizes a straight bar suspended at the water's surface. This setup generates straight, parallel ripples, also known as plane waves. Here's a video with this kind of ripple generator used for experimental and educational purposes.

With the idea of keeping the DC motor safely up and away from the water, this project is using a modified configuration. Here's the prototype built with wood dowels, rubber bands and other parts. A microcontroller with L298N brushless driver run the motor.

F701FF58-E10A-4F22-9C7D-E7C93D936C53.JPG

Pretty rustic, but it took me all night to get that running.

Here is the updated version with woven graphite tube, plastic fittings and a clear plastic tube.

0EDD1E22-684F-4E23-8C51-2DF112EA18A5.JPG

If I can get some other things off my desk I hope to set up the tank this evening, so I might have an update to share a bit later.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I got a quick Instagram video up. No fish or plants in the tank yet, but you can get an idea of the hardware setup and the water caustics effect on the ceiling. Tank is DIY and about 36" X 12" X 7", so about 13 gallons.

I just ran into a more recently uploaded ripple tank video I had not seen previously. This one offers a more thorough demonstration of physical principles with varied dipper configurations. The ripple generator uses a mini cam & follower mechanism.

Back