• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals

Great work everyone
Ive used freshly cut pear tree wood in a tank before without any problems

Didnt see any mention of pine cones but presume they are full of dome resin ?

Then theres cinnamon, which ive seen being used
Can Star anise be used ?

Dandelion leaves are supposed to be good fish food

With christmas not far away what about all the nut shells ? Brazils walnuts hazelnuts almonds pistachio etc these being small would work well in a nano

What about our beloved privet hedges i believe they are toxic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has come up yet. Apologies if it has. But saw these low hanging fruit today and immediately thought about this thread. Any good?

IMG_8053.jpeg
IMG_8052.jpeg

Not sure if this has come up yet. Apologies if it has. But saw these low hanging fruit today and immediately thought about this thread.

This you need to break a bunch in two halves till you have a handful and throw them as high as you can.. I know I can't restrain myself if i see them hanging.

Helicopters
Yep i believe they are useable as a botanical

I’ve seen this suggested elsewhere too, but I find it a bit surprising, aren’t seeds generally high in energy and nutrients (two things we try to avoid by choosing dead leaves)?

I’ve bunged one or two in my tank, but wasn’t sure if it would be safe to add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found these pods in my wife's family operated school. What you all say this is and if it's aquarium friendly?
IMG_0139.JPG
I found something identical to that, but nowhere near Thailand… did you try to use it?

image.jpg

Last edited:
They look like star anise pods.The fruit is a capsule-like follicetum, star-shaped, reddish-brown, consisting of six to eight follicles arranged in a whorl.

They’re used in cooking to add an aniseed flavour. I’ve no idea if they’re suitable as an aquarium botanical, but my guess is they’d be okay in small doses.

They look like star anise pods. They’re used in cooking to add an aniseed flavour. I’ve no idea if they’re suitable as an aquarium botanical, but my guess is they’d be okay in small doses.

I know that for many competition Match anglers, it's common practice and a so-called old-time secret recipe to put Anise seeds as an ingredient in their bait food. They claim to catch more fish when using this because of the Anise's laxative properties. The theory goes the Anise in the bait will accelerate the fish's metabolism and will poop faster and have a less full stomach and thus will eat sooner again and more often.

I have no idea if it was ever put to the test in a laboratory and if this goes for fish as well... It could be an urban myth but Anise seems to work laxatively for humans and that might be implanting the thoughts of anglers that it might work the same for fish. Anyway, I once got this recipe long ago from a price-winning competition match angler who revealed his secret to me why he was winning so often and caught more fish than the others. He made them poop...

It's a common practice to use a wide variety of soaked and germinated bird seeds off the shelf from the pet store in fish bait mixed with breadcrumbs etc.

I have no idea about Anise pods but the seeds yet never killed any fish AFAIK... :) All caught fish with this bait is always put back in the pond after the match is done. And seeing 50 match anglers at the same pond competing who knows how much of them are dumping in bait with Anise seeds in it...

If you want more exotic pods to decorate your scape you can also have a look at hobby shops that sell materials for Dried Flower arrangements.
I've used Natural dried Lotus seed pots I once bought in such a shop and the shrimps loved it... But it takes a lot of time for them to soak. The Lotus Nembulo Nucifera is an aquatic plant. They grow fast in warm summers at a sunny spot, you could grow them yourselves too.
lotus-pod.jpg

Anyway, you can find a variety of naturally dried exotic seed pods by the bag and or palm leaves etc. in the dried flower arrangement section that are also sold as aquatic botanicals but then with different price tags. I guess it all comes from the same wholesalers.
Just make sure the package says naturally dried... :) It's either naturally dried or painted, and something painted is obvious in an unnatural look that won't be difficult to spot.

Last edited:
I found something identical to that, but nowhere near Thailand… did you try to use it?

View attachment 212839

I don't think this is Star Anise as others have suggested.

Star anise grows in its familiar shape and the individual "points of the star" (please excuse my lack of botanical vocab) open lengthways and each contain a seed (each point is like a pod) ...

star anise.jpg

Your pod looks like they grow as balls and then open up and the seeds would be either in the middle of the ball or held between two "points".

The big clue, of course, would be the smell. Star anise is hard to miss and it would take a long long time for the smell to completely dissipate (judging by some ancient ones in my spice cupboard!)

Google reverse image search suggests the same as @Hanuman , Crepe/Crape Myrtle ... no doubt it is grown as an ornamental outside of Thailand too. They <seem to be ok to use>.

Hi all,
Google reverse image search suggests the same as @Hanuman , Crepe/Crape Myrtle ... no doubt it is grown as an ornamental outside of Thailand too. They <seem to be ok to use>.
Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) looks right, it has 6 locules and Star Anise (Illicium verum) has (upto) 8.

Crepe Myrtle is a funny plant, it isn't "hardy" in the UK <"Lagerstroemia - Trees and Shrubs Online"> (but now planted in London), but grows well where they have a hot summer (like <"Washington DC">), even if the winter fairly cold. I've seen it flowering brilliantly in Lyon in August, where it could be -10oC (or colder) in the winter.

cheers Darrel

Back