• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio 180 rescape

HarryRobinson said:
Erm, wont the ammonia leech from your soil and kill the fish? (sorry if im being dumb?) ;) Good start matey
I don't think so. I know the Ada substrates say that they "do" leech ammonia into water column but the aqua gro stuff I bought had no such warning. Worst case scenario if fish dont look to good I will check ammonia and do water changes accordingly. I can't imagine any aquatic soil leeches massive amounts of ammonia as people wouldn't buy it

total bummer...its awful when you have something new which youve been waiting for and then you have to delay things further to send it back. Hope they sort it out quickly for you so you can get your plants ordered :) Have you got a plantlist yet?
Cheerio,
Ady.[/quote]

Yep it sucks but both online stores are being great I will try get reg and nr valve posted tomorrow.
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hygrophila difformis
Hygrophila polysperma
Lobelia cardinalis
Microsorium pteropus windelov
Nymphaea lotus
Fissedens fontanus
That's the plant list sourced all of it for £20ish. Now I know TGM quality is amazing but they quoted £70 odd. Even if the plants arrived in mind blowing condition I can't justify £50 difference before postage

If anyone sees any problems with that plant list please let me know.

jamesb said:
HarryRobinson said:
Erm, wont the ammonia leech from your soil and kill the fish? (sorry if im being dumb?) ;) Good start matey
I don't think so. I know the Ada substrates say that they "do" leech ammonia into water column but the aqua gro stuff I bought had no such warning. Worst case scenario if fish dont look to good I will check ammonia and do water changes accordingly. I can't imagine any aquatic soil leeches massive amounts of ammonia as people wouldn't buy it

If it is aquagro nutrasoil then I think it does cause a spike in ammonia.

Ok I will have to monitor it cheers for letting me know. I did check the container and like I say it didnt mention an ammonia leech but wouldn't be the first product to forget to mention something like that

So sent reg and nr valve back yesterday so I hope to be setting up co2 next weekend then hopefully plants the weekend after. Did a 50% water change today and that's about all I have to update ATM

my soil gave off massive amounts of ammonia- lethal.

Good news the new reg was dispatched today! Aqua essentials customer service is top notch can't recommend enough

Got the reg today and it works fine no problems! So I set the co2 up in this order. Fire extinguisher ,solenoid, needle valve, tubing, non return valve, tubing, bubble counter, tubing, reactor. I then began plumbing reactor into the external filter....... And that's where the fun began! I could not get the pipe from filter outlet to stay in the reactor inlet. I would set it up then move the reactor one way or the other and it would pop off. Anyway after some perseverance I got it to a point I was happy with. Then as I moved the filter that has been running without a hitch for a month the pipes popped off the stop tap block as started gushing water everywhere! Managed to mop everything up and lost about 20 litres so wasn't a complete disaster just a minor hiccup! I finally got the reactor hooked up to filter and started the filter up. Water was pumping fine but the reactor was weeping at both joints and at the lid of reactor! So after a disappointing evening I have decided I am going to look into either a ready made reactor or probably inline diffuser. All in all feeling pretty down about it but i am not confident with running my DIY reactor for the time being. Live and learn I guess hopefully get reactor/ diffuser middle of next week. Any recommendations appreciated.

Right well I have got over my failure and took delivery of my up inline atomiser which I will fit tonight. I have made up my EI ferts and will order the plants to tonight.

Right so another update :). Plants have been ordered :):):). I will post a list after this. The inline atomiser has been plumbed into the outlet of my external filter and seems to working well providing a nice mist. I think I would of rathered have the complete dissolved appearance of the reactor but after the tragic DIY attempt all reactors can do one for now (not bitter at all.....) only issue I have is my spray bar is only half the length of my tank and as I still have juwel box on the right spray bar has to come from the left. I have tried having a full length bar but I found flow was non existent so returned to half length. I am going to try extending spray bar but with blocked pipes so that the water is still only going out though the same amount of holes. However I still feel a power head would be beneficial as it will improve all around tank flow giving me better spread for co2 and ferts. Any opinions on this idea welcomed.

So here is the plant list I don't think I should have any problems. I will be EI dosing I have aquasoil base layer according do a par graph I have high light and will be dosing co2 so fingers crossed all goes well. <br /> Difformis / Water Wisteria<br />Aromatica / Rice Paddy Herb<br />Nymphaea Lotus Zenkeri 'Red' / Tiger Lotus<br />Microsorium pteropus Windelov<br />Rotala rotundifolia<br />Micranthemum micranthemoides<br />Cardamine Lyrata / Japanese Cress<br />Echinodorous Martii / Ruffled Sword

Fire extinguishe connected to easy aqua regulator with build in solenoid and needle valve with co2 tubing going to non return valve, co2 tubing running to bubble counter, co2 tubing to inline atomiser<br />Picture of tubing leading to atomiser which is plumbed into external filter outlet.

5222840f-4a0d-1cff.jpg
5222840f-4a15-fe63.jpg

Turns out my plants won't be here till Tomorrow even though I ordered em two weeks ago. Something the website failed to mention or at least I failed to notice which means it must of been hidden well is they only place one order a week to their european wholesaler. This is done at 3pm every Tuesday. They will then receive the plants ordered on the Friday morning where they are put in a fertiliser bath to ensure the plants are snail free and give them a chance to soak up some nutrients for the final stage of the journey I guess. They are then dispatched to the customer (me) Friday evening by courier. Only found this out once I read the email with my order details after placing the order at 9pm Tuesday last week! Grrrrrr you don't know how annoyed that made me. Anyway I have experienced some algae on my sand of late. The conclusions drawn were poor flow around the substrate and excess nutrients from the aquasoil base which has had very little work to do as I have very few plants at this moment in time. I did a water change Sunday and removed as much of the algae as possible by picking sand up in my net and sifting it through till I was left with algae. I installed the power head I ordered and have put the tank on a black out till today to try and put a stop to it all. I have covered the outside o tank with big liners to reduce any external light and of course the tank lights have been turned off. I am pleased to say blackout has worked and there is no algae:). Just in time for plants tomorrow. So excited!!

Well here it is tonight. I have heard from the plant people and they are sending me some new hygrophila difformis this week after my ordeal which some of you may have read about on a different thread. They have assured me all plants come from aquadip and not from far east so we will see how the new stuff looks
5222840f-c24d-9a22.jpg
5222840f-c25d-74d8.jpg
5222840f-c26c-e866.jpg
5222840f-c286-164f.jpg

Sorry for the poor iPhone pics.

So had another planting session tonight and this is the result!!! Just a bit more wisteria to go when it arrives Monday for round the back

Back