• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio 180 internal....

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I'm costing up a new tank where there is no space for an external. The Rio 180 is a good build, size and price for the space and budget.

The current filter is that built in 600 l/h fluval bioflow 3 compact thingy which i don't think will cut it in regards to flow....

JUWEL® Aquarium | Filter Bioflow 3.0 Bioflow 3.0

Currently musing these options -

Replacing the power head with a larger one - £37

Pros - Increased Flow, Don't have to remove the built in internal, Cons - Not the biggest filter capacity in the world.

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/juwel-pump-set-1000bioflow-1000-p-2942.html

R
eplacing the whole thing with APS box filter 1200 l/h - £34.99

Pros - Increased flow and filter capacity. Cons - Don't know how reliable, MASSIVE in a small tank, Might be too strong.

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/internal-filters/aquarium-internal-bio-box-filter-1200l-h.html

R
eplacing the whole thing with a Fluval U4 1000 l/h - £35.48

Pros - Gets good reviews, smaller size, good flow control and media. Cons - Smaller media capacity.

http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/fluval-u4-internal-filter?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=wa
Opinions please....

Thanks,
John

p.s tank will be moderately stocked and aim to be heavily planted without CO2.

What about adding another flow pump such as a koralia to improve the flow and leave your filter as it is? I ran a high tech planted tank like this for years and wrote about it in one of the tutorials. The only modification I'd make to the filter is to replace the bottom sections media with sintered glass media as I like that as a filter media. Then use the coarse and fine foams in the top half.

What about adding another flow pump such as a koralia to improve the flow and leave your filter as it is? I ran a high tech planted tank like this for years and wrote about it in one of the tutorials. The only modification I'd make to the filter is to replace the bottom sections media with sintered glass media as I like that as a filter media. Then use the coarse and fine foams in the top half.

This is how Aquajardin were running their Rio 180 at Aquatics live, just the standard filter boosted by a simple Koralia, it looked to be working a treat too:thumbup:
Have a search for Aquatics live 2012 photos and you will see the the 3 planted tanks that shows this.

I'd suggest this.

1) Get the uprated impeller for the Juwel filter. If it's a modern one, the same powerhead can accept the 1000lph impeller, which will set you back about a tenner.
2) With some acrylic pipe, make yourself a spraybar to go on the pump output rather than the naff little nozzle they supply.
3) Get a koralia or similar - even at 1000lph you're only roughly 5x the tank volume for hourly flow, and you want to aim for 10x

I double what Ric has just said... by far the best option :)

And you dont need to worry about the biologicl capacity. Its fine. Add some Purigen if you like, and it will keep your water gin clear ;)

Hi guys.

I have a Rio 180 with just the standard filter housing. Someone else has said that the flow may be inadequate.

What are the Koralia that would increase flow? Where would they be situated in the tank? Could someone provide a link to one please?

I'm new to this lol

Hi guys.

I have a Rio 180 with just the standard filter housing. Someone else has said that the flow may be inadequate.

What are the Koralia that would increase flow? Where would they be situated in the tank? Could someone provide a link to one please?

I'm new to this lol

There's an old article I wrote in the tutorials section about setting up just this tank. The links are all out of date I think but the stuff in there works still. It shows one option for positioning the koralia which is a powerhead that produces a broad flow.

There's an old article I wrote in the tutorials section about setting up just this tank. The links are all out of date I think but the stuff in there works still. It shows one option for positioning the koralia which is a powerhead that produces a broad flow.

Got a link to the article Ed ? :)

Back