• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio 125 Rock & HC scape

Vito

Hello everyone, I am starting a new setup and I thought it was time to start sharing it with you.
Firstly the specification:

Tank - Juwel Rio 125
Lighting - 4 x T8 tubes
Filtration - Tetratec EX1200
CO2 - Fire extinguisher with dual gauge reg and solenoid/Ceramic glass diffuser.
Substrate - 21l ADA Amazonia (3/4 of which is from my original setup so I might add some tabs)
Fertilizers - Dry salt straight in with measuring spoon (EI method)
Plants - HC only, which I am growing nicely on my windowsill.
Fish/Critters - Cherry shrimp, Nerite snails, maybe some ottos, a few SAE's, eventually 40-60 (maybe more) Blue neons.
Hardscape - Welsh Green Rocks, widely available from most garden centers

So I have had the hardscape layed out for 3-4 weeks now and I have toyed and fiddled with it to try and make it look good, I am basically going for a Mountain/Iwagumi/Valley look if that makes sense. I am only using HC which is my favorite plant and I love the minimalistic look so that why I am going for this type of scape. Again the fish choice is mainly down to the fact that I love the colour of them and I have kept them before.
I will be traveling to Thailand next Saturday and wont be back until 2nd week October and that's when I will start planting, so if anyone has any ideas on the hardscpae in terms to improve it or anything let me know because its not set in stone and I really want to nail this one from the start. The filter is currently running in a bucket to keep the bacteria going so its set for the new tank.

Lastly I have added a few pics just so you can see where I am at. I will add that I did edit these pics in Paintshop, I just blacked the background because my camera is shocking, I haven't touch any of the scape. Oh and I added some borders and some shadows, a bit arty-farty but I seen some of the other guys do it on here and I think it adds great effect.

rio125hardscape11.jpg

The next pic was taken at a lower level.
rio125hardscape22.jpg

All comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Vito

Re: Let the journal begin!

1 word....frickin awesome! oooops, thats 2 :oops:

great images. arty farty?....never!

i cant really fault the stone layout, as it's quite unique and doesn't follow many rules, so try it. Time will be your judge

Thank you so much guys really appreciate the comments alot of the inspiration comes from some of the stunners you have produced saintly and I have always love the way you presented your pics and that why I have done it myself, I am experimenting with lighting for the pics and I will try to get more shots this evening as I thing the pic looks a little to brownish.
Thanks again guys

The Rock Scape looks Amazing, Looking forward to how this evolves.

I like the taller layout, looks fantastic, kind of like a menacing mountain escarpment, the visual impact is massive. I agree with sam, I would us really low plants like HC.

Congrats, Tom :clap:

TBRO said:
I like the taller layout, looks fantastic, kind of like a menacing mountain escarpment, the visual impact is massive. I agree with sam, I would us really low plants like HC.

Congrats, Tom :clap:

The layouts are the same I just took the pics at diffrent hight levels, I read on one of saintly's threads that to line the camera lense with the top of the tank shows more depth or something but it definatly looks better. Its going to be 100% HC, cant wait.

i think it looks awsome at this point!
personally not sure about just having HC, but each to his own and all that! :0)

baron von bubba said:
i think it looks awsome at this point!
personally not sure about just having HC, but each to his own and all that! :0)

Thanks mate, I am a little worried about the sucess of the HC and my potential algae issues but one think I know is I need to pump alot of co2 in there to get it spread quickly, but if anyone has any advice on the subject please feel free to let me know.

Can't believe I missed this.

I love the innovative rock work. Congrats!

Vito said:
I am a little worried about the sucess of the HC and my potential algae issues but one think I know is I need to pump alot of co2 in there to get it spread quickly, but if anyone has any advice on the subject please feel free to let me know.
I have successfully grown-in a 60cm Iwagumi using just HC and hairgrass - 3 pots of HC and 1 pot of hairgrass. Planting took around 4 hours I think.

My top tip is to limit light to 6 hour photoperiod, but use mega CO2 with plenty of circulation. Change 50% of the water every day too, for the first couple of weeks. My HC went a little leggy so I pruned off the tips and re-planted. It didn't take long to get this - viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6684

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am tempted to plant something behind the rock as there is space but for this scape I am going to stick to the plant and go for the HC but it can always be changed if im not happy with it.

Thanks for the advice george I have 4 full 2kg FE's sitting at home so I will be using alot for the start. I was considering doing water changes every two days so I could add Macros then Traces how would that work doing W/C daily?
Also dose anyone know a good fert dosing calculator or a guide as I am only using KN03, KH2P04 & Traces from gardens direct, I am thinking about using magnesium is there anything that could be missing? I have had success with just these ferts before but I have read people adding more nutrients than me and thats why I ask....

Thanks again

Love the hardscape :)
Just a though .....
How about using the dry start method and leaving it going like that while your on holiday? Youll have a higher plant mass from the start that way so less algae :)

mr. luke said:
Love the hardscape :)
Just a though .....
How about using the dry start method and leaving it going like that while your on holiday? Youll have a higher plant mass from the start that way so less algae :)

Good idea Mr.Luke, I have considered it but I thought It might be too much hassle for my brothers to handle, I am dry growing the HC on my window sill and at the rate its growing I wont have to buy any :D

Thanks for the comments

Ok guys well just a quick update, I have now grown enough HC on my windowsill to plant my tank, I am going with Mr.Luke's suggestion of "dry start method", just seeking some advice, I am going to start with four T8 bulbs on for 6 hours a day and Misting with normal tap water every other day. If you guys have any advice please share!

Don't know how I missed this but the hardscape looks amazing, can't wait to see it planted.

I was a little unsure about using the one plant (hairgrass in my case) but now it's growing in I really like the look of it.

Mine is 4 weeks old now and I've had no major algae issues (I clean the rocks a couple of times a week with a toothbrush dipped in Easycarbo), I did a 50% water change every day for the first 2 weeks and every other day for the other 2 and I'll gradually bring it down to once a week. Hope this helps if you decide against the dry start method.

Another little tip you might find useful:
If you want a nice thin straight substrate line at the front I would make it about a centimetre less than you want. I initially made mine 3cm and it's now 4 since the shrimp have pushed that much forward, if I new this would have been the case I would of made it 2cm initially.

Good luck with the planting, really looking forward to this one :thumbup:

Mark

Back