• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

riccia colour

sa80mark

Does the colour of riccia tell us anything ?

Everytime ive seen riccia its quite a bright green ive got 2 lots in seperate tubs on the window sill both lots came from different places the first lot is the green I would expect but the secound lot is a really deep dark green is this normal ?

Both tubs are the same size and right next to each other both have a water change ever day

There are several different kinds of Riccia - so that's one reason, they can differ in colour.
- but check if you have the so-called "heavy" form, since that one has a significantly deeper green colour. It's a change in morphology, that sometimes happen in common Riccia.
Simply see if your darker version sink or floats.
Mick.

Hi mick both the lighter green and the dark one float, as far as im aware there both riccia fluitans the lighter green came from a member on here and the dark green came from ebay both apear to be identical in size and shape, all im really concerned about is wether the dark one is healthy as im wanting to use them for a riccia carpet and I think mixing the light and dark could give a great look, im back home tomorrow so I will get some pictures to better show the colour difference

Mark

If tbey're new in your care ......... tbey just might come from different conditions of nutrients, lights etc. etc. .........if so, they'll most likely average out in colour, receiving the same care.
Mick.

- oh, and some variation in colour in a species is not really uncommon, either .......
Mick.

Yes its the same batch good to know its doing well :) shame it lightens up though I really like the dark green but never mind new scape coming next week aslong as I get the week off ive asked for lol :)

Reactions: tim
Remodel of the dennerle, the misses has put her foot down and wants it out of the bedroom so I thought id break it down and start it again, I think im going for some thing a bit different with a riccia carpet, a lot of moss ( been growing it on ) Alternanthera reineckii, Elatine hydropiper ( tropica 1 - 2 grow ) and maybe a few more also get my wabi kusa done :)

Reactions: tim
Back