• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Restarted Roma 200.

RickB

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well.

So 3 days ago I restarted my Roma 200 from scratch, clean filter, new substrate and new plants.

I had to strip the tank down a month ago due to our ceiling needing to be dropped l, the tank wasn't looking great, a bit of neglect on my part.

Now I'm using black 0.6 gravel/sand and a few rocks.

Plants are:
Crypt Balanse
Hygro 53B
Crypt Petchii
Crypt Parva
A bit of Xmas moss.

IMG_20221223_133044166.jpg

Currently 6 hour photo period, a small tipple of tnc complete once a day along with a 25% water change daily.

Forgot to add I have thrown tnc root capsules under the substrate around the plants too.

One week on:

IMG_20221230_135356126.jpg

The melt is slowing down, new growth appearing on everything except the Parva.

At least 2 snails have hitch hiked with the plants too.

Last edited:
2 weeks on:

IMG_20230106_120858186.jpg

Now on a water change every other day, photo period now 8 hours.

Plants all looking healthy apart from the balansae which has started melting on the top half of the leaves.

3 weeks on:

IMG_20230113_184433135_HDR.jpg

Plants all growing well now apart from the moss which is turning yellow, brown.

Also, tank is now stocked with 6 red eye tetra, 6 serpae tetra, 6 Amano shrimp and an angelfish.

Ah perfect! Angels are a lovely fish I think but each one is different, I enjoyed having a few of them in the past.

Are you keeping the right side nice and open?

Yeah the angel is a real character, constantly sitting at the front glass looking for attention.

Yeah I have learnt with this tank and that filter that thing struggle to grow on the same side as the filter, probably a flow issue but I want to just use what I have.

The shrimp are actually around 4 years old, assuming none bred and survived.

Yeah the angel is a real character, constantly sitting at the front glass looking for attention.

Yeah I have learnt with this tank and that filter that thing struggle to grow on the same side as the filter, probably a flow issue but I want to just use what I have.

The shrimp are actually around 4 years old, assuming none bred and survived.
They are lovely fish!
It’s kinda nice to have an open space, makes feeding the fish a bit easier too I think?!
Good age for them! I don’t think they breed in tropical so must be! (I’ve got one that get buried with eggs regularly but they need brackish water to complete)

FTS After a water change today:

IMG_20230116_115345893.jpg

I have now moved my vampire plec into the tank too, by the time he gets too big I will probably buy a bigger tank.

4 weeks on:
IMG_20230120_143421496.jpg

Growth has slowed down slightly, the balansae still not looking good and lost a serpae tetra that to be honest did not look the best when I put it in the tank.

The plec is uprooting the occasional plant but not too many, just the odd one floating in the morning.

Last edited:
Nice one! Going to grow in nicely I think, yeah my pleco does that too! Just takes a little while for the roots to take hold doesn’t it ?

Nice one! Going to grow in nicely I think, yeah my pleco does that too! Just takes a little while for the roots to take hold doesn’t it ?

It's the odd Parva and Petchii, the stems seem to be rooted ok now.

No photo today, haven't had time.

Everything apart from the moss is growing ok but I have noticed some mechanical damage on the hygro leafs.

Has anyone got an idea what could be causing it? Mainly ends of the leaf look to have been removed by force.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

A few pics today, everything just plodding along now, fish and shrimp all ok, added 4 Otto although still no signs of algae which has surprised me, something is definitely taking chunks out of the hygro leafs though.

IMG_20230203_133941068.jpg IMG_20230203_133916095.jpg IMG_20230203_133825487.jpg IMG_20230203_133730825.jpg

Has anyone got an idea what could be causing it? Mainly ends of the leaf look to have been removed by force.
Now and again I've seen my angel fish nipping the edges/ends of leaves, they seem to have a preference for greenery, in my case hygrophila difformis & hygrophila polysperma.

The other possible suspect could be the amanos, never personally had issues myself with them chomping on a tasty leaf, but believe other folks have reported it happening.

Alternatively one of the tetra could actually be Keyser Söze and is trying to frame one of the guys above... do any of your tetra swim with a limp? 😁

Now and again I've seen my angel fish nipping the edges/ends of leaves, they seem to have a preference for greenery, in my case hygrophila difformis & hygrophila polysperma.

The other possible suspect could be the amanos, never personally had issues myself with them chomping on a tasty leaf, but believe other folks have reported it happening.

Alternatively one of the tetra could actually be Keyser Söze and is trying to frame one of the guys above... do any of your tetra swim with a limp? 😁
The Angel does chill down there on a night, but the red eye mess about in there during lights on.

Back