• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rescaping with livestock

Jenni

So I have a 240ltr I scaped back in October/Nov - and I have itchy feet about it… however it is fully stocked with embers, marginatus pencils, corys, hatchets, cardinals and an apistogramma pair and trio I am very attached too!

If I was to go about re-scaping it, what’s the best options for the fish and plants (mainly epiphytes I’d keep and re do my stems I think…) while the scape gets done? With it being fully stocked I’d need to put them all back into it once’s it’s done ideally - is that doable or would I end up with new tank syndrome even if I kept the filter?

I've done it before and did add the fish as soon as I was done. Fish were temporarily in a storage box with the filter attached to it.

I think it can be risky if you're stirring up the soil so my advice is try to leave the substrate undisturbed if you can. Pay extra attention to your fish behaviour following the rescape and change water if you suspect something is wrong.

Having plants to soak up any unexpected ammonia in the water column could help and floaters are probably the best canditate for that job.

Fish in a bucket with heater and filter and plants. Gives you unlimited time to rescape 12559A5B-B2E8-47CB-B204-747EDC55380C.jpeg 033CD02C-A0F0-49BE-A9DC-E6A681C33A75.jpeg

Back