• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing the rim on the Juwel Rio 300

So, I got there in the end. I used two 100W compact fluorescents from Megaman, 6500k. I used two metal shades that I found on ebay and fabbed up the fittings, hung down from the ceiling.

The pipework I put in, perspex, is now getting dirty unfortunately and I didn't think to put in any breaks - hence it is now impossible to clean. So, I am going to have to cut some joins into it in due course.

I'm also still having problems with the carpet plants, which I think is down to bad flow - I'm going to have to keep working on that which I can do when I redo my pipework.

scaled.php?server=513&filename=photo1opm.jpg

scaled.php?server=38&filename=photo4jfa.jpg

scaled.php?server=100&filename=photo2grj.jpg

Ta da!

Things still to do:

1. I'm using a Jewel powerhead to get extra flow - It's really noisy and I'm not convinced I need it if I can reposition the flow from my two external filters - Needs some more work and thought.

2. Need to get the carpet plants going better - totally lame coverage at the moment - think this relates to point 1.

3. Need to put breaks into the perspex tubes for the filter because they are currently getting dirty and I can't clean them - duh.

4. Need to tidy up the silicon job round the edge of the tank - I can't really be bothered to do this though and it doesn't look too bad.

Think Homebase sells a thing called a drain snake. Good for cleaning pipework.

Looks much better by the way! Great lights :D

Regarding the plants growing out the top - Yep, not quite there yet. Hoping my lotus puts up some pads and flowers but still quite small (growing quickly though). Also, I want to put in a new stem plant. that can grow up and out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Regarding the flow. Thanks for the advice Harry. I've bought exactly that device and will see if it improves things.

Regarding dirty pipes. I'm going to get one of those pipe cleaners on the way home! Cheers for the advice.

Thanks for the compliments as well. I'm not there with the plants, but the hardware certainly looks better. I'll try and take a better picture as well this weekend.

I like sitting at the end of my fish tank looking down it. The internal reflections make it look CRAZY in there.

img1259sh.jpg

Still having problems with the carpet plants. Going to buy another Korelia power head and then up the CO2. Trying to build slowly because I really like my fish.

Ps. Gregory Porter is king.

Back