• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regulator problem

steveninaster

Changed CO2 bottles today. Screwed regulator onto FE as normal however when I squeezed the handle I heard a small pop and then a slow hissing as CO2 escaped the regulator. The gauge that normally reads 1.5 bar was off the scale and the one reading 50 showed 30. Testing for leaks using washing up liquid showed that the first gauge was leaking.

I'm assuming that some kind of diaphragm on the first gauge had burst. Does anyone know if I can replace the gauge or I need a new reg?

I've ordered a cheap reg off ebay for £11 in the meantime which has no gauges, has anyone used one of these? Do they work ok?

Thanks

Steve

As suggested send it back to JBL and they will sort it out and pressure test it, maybe at a relative cost but at least you will know its done right. In the mean time be careful with your 'cheap' ebay reg as you are much more likely to get a co2 dump with a cheap reg. Cheap and regulator do not add up to anything other than disaster :oops: If any piece of kit deserves some good money spent on it, its your regulator. My advice to anyone on this forum would be, buy twin stage as good as you can afford say BOC Med grade and look after it and you will have no worries, leave flebay to the flees. :clap:

I wont be sending it back to JBL, all the gauges were loose when it arrived and needed tightening so I have no faith in their ability to pressure test, I'll probably buy the gauge on the link as I believe they are standard for most regs. The cheap reg is for emergencies and certainly wont be used on a bottle that is close to running out.

Where did you buy your regulator from?

Hi
If you read down the link to the Technical Data......States not be used on re-fillable bottles/cylinders with a adaptor.
http://www.livingwatersonline.co.uk/jbl ... easy_1.htm.
Your best using it as a spare when you run out of C02 at least you will get some use out of it.
Regards
hoggie

Morning, hoggie seams to have found some of the problem. The much greater capacity of the FE appears to have caused it to pop. The internal pressure and volume in the throw-away cylinders will not be anything like a well filled FE. Lucky something did not come out of it at great speed :wideyed: JBL would not have sent that reg out in an dangerous state, they are a very reputable company I would suggest and I would hope given the chance they would sort that one out. I bought my reg from BOC not cheap, but neither was the massacare caused by a a single stage piece of flebay junk in the early days. Once you have seen 32 fish doubled in sizes eyes popping out you dont use words like 'cheap' and ' it will do' when it comes to regs, or at least I dont. :thumbup: Buy the best twin stage reg you can afford as looked after it will control the last gasp of co2 in every FE you throw at it. :D

Back