• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Tiger Lotus taking over...

fishandting

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone on here may have some advice or suggestions.....

I bought a Red Tiger Lotus lily bulb for my 34 litre tank and, as you can see from the pics it's exploded and taken over the mid/foreground.

I guess it was an error to put it where I did in the tank but I was thinking if I trimmed off the longer stems it might stay more compact... but they seem to be growing really quickly!

So my questions are:

• if I trim off the larger leaves on longer stems, will it stay more compact and will the leaves be any smaller?
  • does anyone have experience of moving them once they're established? I'm thinking about relocating to the back of the tank.

Thanks in advance

PXL_20230302_090623695.MP.jpg
PXL_20230302_090642464.MP.jpg

Not what you’re asking, but I think it looks good, i probabaly wouldn’t do anything.

I think it looks good, but it won't mind if you want to chop off the biggest leaf(ves) each time it grows a new one to keep it from getting any bigger than it is.

Another vote here for leaving it. Sometimes having larger leaves at the front can help accentuate the sense of depth.

Keeping up with trimming the largest leaves, may promote smaller leaves, and if you really want to relocate it, it should just be a matter if puling the bulb up and planting it elsewhere

My experience with it is that more CO2 and more light make it more compact. When its own leaves shade the new leaves, those new leaves will grow larger and things spiral out of control.

There is also a theory going around that restricting the space for the roots to grow would help make it more compact, something like a bonsai...

I have moved my plant a couple of times in the past and it is very resilient. Even if it loses its leaves, it doesn't take long for new ones to grow.

Its grows smaller without co2 and high light doesn't get as vibrant red more pink. I've grown the red low tech with no issues. I have the green and the red variety and mine both grow huge leaves straight to the surface. Every week I'm pinching off the leaves that get burned by the light.

Well the good folk of UKAPS have spoken - I'm more than happy to leave it for a while and see how it settles in.

If the biggest leaf or two gets huge, I may cut those ones off but I agree it'll be interesting to see how it looks when some of them reach the surface.

Thanks everyone for your responses, very much appreciated.

This is how mine is looking at the moment.

IMG_0937.jpeg

I’m just wondering will it eventually reach the top and make a flower pod.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an amazing BBA you have growing in there!

Around 20 years ago when I kept Malawi cichlids that was something I really wanted to get on my background/rocks, but it just was not meant to be hehe! Good job :)

Back