• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red colouration and restricting nitrates??

Tomfish

I'm in the process of setting up my first planted aquarium. Whilst researching care details of various plants I keep on comming across the idea that restricting nitrate level enhances certain plants red colouration, but according to the principles behind EI this is not a good idea, or at least it would appear to complicate what was designed to simplify methods of dosing.
Any thoughts welcome

Hi Tomfish

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there that restricting nitrogen in some plants does induce a redder colouration. Typically this appears to be in plants that are green by 'default' i.e. when grown emerged. Two popular examples include Rotala rotundifolia and Ludwigia arcuata. I've also noticed that regular Hygrophila polysperma can produce pink leaves when deficient of nitrogen (or something else is going on that is in conjunction with very low N levels). Note also that the H. polysperma "rosanervig"s pink colour is more intense in these conditions too.

Also there's evidence that suggests that high light is necessary to get the best reds. Some sources also suggest iron dosing. Now this is where it can get even more confusing, because I believe that spectrum may also have a part to play here. For instance I could not induce any red pigmentation in L. arcuata with my LED lighting, despite a PAR 100 at the substrate. However, switch to T5 and actually less PAR and reds start to appear. Of course, there may be many other factors at play, that I do not know about, and all these observations are just that... There's no proof.

Anyway, EI suggests nitrogen should never be limited, so if you want to try this out for yourself then you'll have to consider cessation of KNO3 dosing in combination with enough plant growth to limit nitrogen from other sources i.e. fish. This brings about its own risks i.e. algae, BGA etc.

Here's Tom's post for more reading on this subject - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17797&start=150#p201799

Cheers,
George

Cheers chaps. This makes me think I should focus on getting healthy plant growth with EI before considering such tweeking for purely aesthetic concerns. No need to over complicate things!

Well, plants are fairly adaptable, so they can respond nicely in non limiting ranges and also in limiting cases also.

the question is really what method has a high % of success, simple, easy to do etc, vs another? This might works for 80 people but not 20, and those 20 will complain a lot. For whatever reason, they cannot get good reds or algae issues, something.

There's many ways to go wrong and this includes limiting N strongly also.
Limiting P is much safer actually.

Or limit light etc.....

Or chose a species./variety that is naturally red independent of environmental conditions, the L perunesis or the Red rubin types fit this nicely.

Some add lots of lighting.

Some use rich sediment and then not much in the water column, but this runs into issues after the sediments are exhausted.

I suggested limiting N to reduce the Chl a in the tissue that mask the red pigments back around the mid 1990's.
But there's a fine line between nice red color and stunted red plants.

This is a bit tricky and works well when you dose daily and fuss and manage the N real well, or have slower growth rates due to other factors beside just low N. This tends to set you up for some sort of issue when you slip up.

Some can do it, but IME/IMO, this is about 5% of folks, maybe less. But those 5% scream like a cat who's tail just got stomped.

If the limiting N is the key, then if I can dose as much as I like and still get good nice colors....then this sort of blows up the entire argument.

I've logn stated that folks that fuss and tweak and pay a lot of attention vs not.........often will have better results.........but this may have nothing to do with the ferts and you cannot says that the ferts caused X, Y and Z..........without running the risk of that hypothesis being falsified.
There are many labor intensive things that work, or special skills, magic powders, but what good are they if few will/can do them???

Not much.

A few years ago i'd have been very disapointed if my magical skill turned out to be promoting red in aquatic plant growth...

Now however it's definately a contender with 'see through wall eyes' and Bernards watch.

Back