• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re Scaping the "Bit in the Middle"

pauldesfitz

Hi All,
The Tank is approx Two months Old and is doing OK (ish),
However, I`m not entirely happy with the Scape Layout...Especially the "Bit in the Middle" of Sand.
Is it just me?
I`m thinking of getting Rid of the Sand , replacing it with Aquasoil, and Planting it up with something instead ?? !!!
However, all my friends think that this is the interesting bit , as it Splits the tank on a 2/3 Look.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated before I spend more money I haven`t got !:(
Regards , Paul

ticx.jpg

Hi Paul
I think its a great scape as is, very nice layout and the little valley in the middle is fitting well. I think the reason why you may not be happy is that the little bit in the middle is a very very bright contrast to the other substrate. Maybe use a slightly darker material like one of the unipac samoa fiji etc.

Scape looks really nice, could possibly trim those centre plants down to conform to the diagonal line you've already started on the right hand side. This often helps as it leads your eyes to a centre point. Healthy looking plants by the way.

Thanks for those comments ...
Suppose we're never happy with our efforts at times, so good to get reassurance.
Its been a bit of a journey though, as my CO2 and my flow around the tank were not adequate...hence Algae problems . I've just started Easy Carbo to try and reduce it. My Hairgrass is not doing great ..very brown in places, even though it is growing....slowly.
I was thinking of uprooting it and replacing it with an easy carpet plant to grow ( if that exists ! )
All in all though its on the right path. Not bad for my first planted tank.
Regards ... Paul

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Another option is to soften the harsh line of the two substrates - if it was me I'd plant something like Staurogyne rubescens along the the left & right border lines and then plant in more taking them back into the scape/rock areas... But less densely planted towards rocks, they look nice amongst grasses to. To complement this prune some of your existing plants, to form a more teared layered look from the pathway.... This should then draw the eye more away from the centre feature to higher up... More of a gradual transition... If you get my drift!?

Back