• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re: potassium levels

Dawnlg

I am having a potassium issue. For the life of me, I cannot seem to mitigate pinholes in most of my plants. Specs: 20G tall low tech tank set up for 2 years, Nicrew SkyLed Plus light set at 65% for 8 hrs, no CO2, ThriveC all in one liquid (4 ml/wk), Thrive root tabs, KSO4 1.5 T dry salts solution, dose nutrients once a week (except Thrive root tabs every 2 months), K level - unable to measure as Salifert test says won’t give accurate results in hard water, GH 12, KH 7, ph 7.8-8, NO3 10-20, substrate Caribsea Naturals course sand/super tiny gravel, water change 30% per week, 3 Cardinals (others died over a couple years ago), 4 Mystery Snails, plants are Wisteria planted and a few floating, Anubias, Bolivian Swords, Rotala, moderate planting. I hesitate to add more potassium, not knowing what the level is. Is it safe to add more and if so how much?

A picture would be useful to help assess the issue you are experiencing. This said:
1. I had a quick look at that light and it seems rather weak. You have it a 65% for a 20 gallon seems low and you have it set up for 8h. At that intensity I would probably extend the photoperiod a few more hours. Maybe 10h ?
2. Doesn't look you need more K in there considering the root tabs and the KSO4 you are adding. Adding a bit more K wont harm plants or fish as long as you don't lard on it.
3. To me this looks like a hard water problem (high KH > high PH) combined with low light/photoperiod, but I could be wrong. It's possible you have enough nutrients in the water but they are not accessible to the plants.

Yes, hard water is very potentially an issue. I’m not wanting to change that at this point, so I’m seeing if I can manage my way through this. I’m not sure if it’s better to bump up the number of hours of light or whether I should bump up the intensity. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• BD26E40B-A24C-483F-9AAC-6E7778D2B011.jpeg
    BD26E40B-A24C-483F-9AAC-6E7778D2B011.jpeg
    839.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 8D86231A-2862-41FD-A53D-98689F5180B9.jpeg
    8D86231A-2862-41FD-A53D-98689F5180B9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
Back