• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Thanks chaps, I’ll tie round wood where I can & I’ll stick to rock where i have to.
Cheerio and Happy New Year!

Lol

Are you on commission yet Zeus?
:lol:

Ooooh.....

13D3208F-804A-472A-9AB0-5D49CC003A8B.jpeg

Second filter added tonight, will attempt some form of diffuser co2 tomorrow night until I decide if I should invest in a new co2 art inline unit over my boyu ones. Don’t trust them not to be broken as one I’m sure had a hairline crack. Does anyone know if the co2 art ones perform well?
I did another water change, the sand needed siphoning as the bristlenose are doing a great job of converting the wood fluff into the other stuff......

While the water was down I decided to tie a bit of fissidens, every little helps.
Plant order tomorrow hopefully :D
I’ll decide whether to add another filter for better distribution once planted, although I suspect I’ll need to.

Good old bristle nose....

8743C12E-4333-4D3F-9CE9-837BBEE8BCAD.jpeg

Cheerio,
Ady

Last edited:
i've been trying the new CO2Art inline diffuser (was using the older UP version before) for the past couple of weeks now and it's good, i like the build quality and it's easy to use and install (better locking collars) but i'd say I need a higher bps than i did on my old UP diffuser, might try and put the UP back on without changing anything and see if there is a difference in pH drop (time and overall drop)

Great to see you've made a start on the planting Ady. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when the rest of the plants go in.
Ha, one branch I did, seems I’m not great at knots, however the fissidens is still in place this morning :D
The rest of the plants have been ordered this morning;
Anubias (various small species)
Bucephalandra (various species - not green)
Bolbitis heudelotii
Microsorum sp petit and trident
Hygrophilia pinatifida in vitro to attempt as an epiphyte
Riccardia
Some mini Christmas moss

I’ll see how we go with these and decide if I want anything else.

i've been trying the new CO2Art inline diffuser (was using the older UP version before) for the past couple of weeks now and it's good, i like the build quality and it's easy to use and install (better locking collars) but i'd say I need a higher bps than i did on my old UP diffuser, might try and put the UP back on without changing anything and see if there is a difference in pH drop (time and overall drop)
Thanks for the info, I’ve ordered one along with the pro elite regulator. Good to hear the build quality is good on the diffuser. I have a 2kg bottle to start but will look to replace with a 5kg one when needed......I suspect sooner rather than later :eek:

All should arrrive tomorrow so I’ll hopefully have some sort of ‘finished’ system soon.

I’ll be fertilising initially with some extremely old supplies of tropica fertilisers.

Cheerio,

Thanks for the info, I’ve ordered one along with the pro elite regulator. Good to hear the build quality is good on the diffuser. I have a 2kg bottle to start but will look to replace with a 5kg one when needed......I suspect sooner rather than later :eek:

I'm currently at 4bps on a 90L so yeh i think you'll have fun trying to guess what yours will be!

Received a lovely box of plants today from aquarium gardens, great quality, great service and I’m really looking forward to planting up tomorrrow.
Got the new regulator also so should be good to go.
I’m sure I will need more plants as the mass will look smaller once removed from pots and attached to hardscape :wideyed:
Great to see some green again though......

BC41FBA4-AA75-45AC-8B8C-5ABD670885A8.jpeg

Cheerio

I’m sure I will need more plants as the mass will look smaller once removed from pots and attached to hardscape
I bet you could’ve ordered double :D
It’s a grand tank

The Bolbitis should do well here, I chucked mine (again) after it just became too massive - it’s a fairly fast grower if happy
I’ve seen people trim it back harshly to contain it, but it never seems as happy once you start doing that
(or maybe I just feel too guilty :oops: )

Hygrophilia pinatifida in vitro to attempt as an epiphyte
I think this plant really shines as an epiphyte, & find the 1-2-Grow does really well
It will also suddenly shoot off

Definitely :)
I can’t stop watching my unfinished tank already, the plants just add something that you can’t explain, the whole system takes on a different aura, the little bristlenoses appear instantly more inquisitive and at home.
I really hope I don’t kill these plants and stress myself out with co2, I’m beginning to remember the battle :rage: I’ll keep the lighting low and ramp it all up slowly I think.

I bet you could’ve ordered double :D
It’s a grand tank

The Bolbitis should do well here, I chucked mine (again) after it just became too massive - it’s a fairly fast grower if happy
I’ve seen people trim it back harshly to contain it, but it never seems as happy once you start doing that
(or maybe I just feel too guilty :oops: )

I think this plant really shines as an epiphyte, & find the 1-2-Grow does really well
It will also suddenly shoot off
Yes I love bolbitis and much like yourself I hated hacking it back so tended to leave it which resulted in a slightly overgrown look which some may have called scruffy.

1B91AED4-404C-4113-B412-69030E30D602.jpeg

Hopefully the h. Pinitifida will take, I’m slightly nervous about the whole plant thing again :nailbiting:
Double the plants may not be far off the mark :greedy:

Thanks for the interest, I’m like a kid in a candy shop looking forward to planting tomorrow....
Cheerio
Ady

Planted.....

Took a while but done for now. I have ordered a few more bucephelandra and another anubias to fill in a few areas. Some plants will need siting better as I think I will get a few floaters and the mini Christmas moss is keen to escape its position but I was reluctant to superglue it if not necessary.
Tying fissidens to the branches was a good laugh :lol:
I broke my larger temporary in tank diffuser so have an undersized one in until the co2 art inline arrives next week. I will need to add another filter for circulation but unsure where to locate it yet for best distribution.

I will run at 30% lighting intensity for 5-6hrs per day for a while until I’m happy that everything is going in the right direction.
Min 50% water change per day for the first week.

I will add a complete plant list later.

Cheerio,

Last edited:
This is going to be something special when grown in I reckon, nice work

Hi, nice plants.

Be aware that the bolbitis can be trimmed hard (the bigger and older leaves) for the planting to ensure new growth.;)

H.pinnitida is a weed, careful with this one. Needs to be trimmed weekly once acclimated.

I love the buces!:cool:

Cheers

Hi, nice plants.

Be aware that the bolbitis can be trimmed hard (the bigger and older leaves) for the planting to ensure new growth.;)

H.pinnitida is a weed, careful with this one. Needs to be trimmed weekly once acclimated.

I love the buces!:cool:

Cheers
Thanks CooKieS, I hope I have the weed problem....currently I’m more worried about keeping them alive but fingers crossed.
Yeah I’ve seen Amano used to chop the bolbitis to the rhizome when introducing it to the aquarium for the first time......I may do that but it’ll be so bare without them :bawling:
I’m loving the buces too, few more on order to add here and there :D

C8549E8A-2FB6-4507-BF21-964024271D21.jpeg

Cheerio,

Back