• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RCS die after 2 weeks in tank

Jaap

Hello

I have a planted tank with 10 red cherry shrimp 4 amanos and 3 guppies. I am adding co2 and dosing estimative index. The temperature is at 23 Celsius.

Last night I did a 30% water change after lights off and today I find 2 rcs dead.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Not really...all other inverts and fish are fine plus this is my usual routine and from the same water source as always.

Do the deceased shrimp show any signs of injury?

Small mouthed fish may not be able to eat them whole but they will chase and nip at them enough to cause them injury and an untimely death.

:(

No injury and the tank is planted with plenty of hidding places

Hey Jaap! You don't seem to be having much luck these days! Were they large rcs? Maybe they were just old? I loose some now and then, but they are breeding so the colony lives on... Do you have an airstone to help with gassing off at night?

Because I don't have much experience on rcs i cant k ow if they were big but i will guess and say yes...no i dont have an airstone but surface agitation is good enough for gas exchange....other inverts and fish and rcs are fine...yeah Bhu no luck at all :(

There was something in your wáter as stated before. Look at the clues: 2 dead rcs after a wáter change. Thats as clear as it gets. It could also be ammonia poisoning due to the change of pH but if you are doing wekly wáter changes this shouldnt be the case. Maybe you have copper or something in your wate.

Shrimp are much more delicate tan most fish, yes even CRS. This is why some people find it better to keep them in a low tech with minimal wáter changes, so that the changes are minimal.

Are we talking about crs or rcs I'm confused. do you have a korilina? I've lost a few to those and also old age.

By rcs I mean red cherry shrimp...no korilina...

I dont think its the water change because i have been doing this for the past 3 months from the same tap water and the fish or amano shrimp have never complaint...

How do you know there wasnt something maybe just this time in the water? What do you thinkcould be the problem? Lets debate the possibilities. If there were 2 deaths this rules out the age issue.

I think we could rule out the possibility of having something in the water because only 2 shrimp were affected and no fish maybe...

I spot doses 1ml of Hydrogen Peroxide on one rock...maybe the 2 shrimp were close to the rock when I spot dosed it?

Another RCS just dies...I still dont unferstand why...I haven't done anything today apart from dose my macros....does the MgSO4 kill them?

Nutrients in the EI doses wont kill them for sure. Peroxyde could be, specially spot treating. Maybe the one that died last got a bit weak with the treatment. I wouldnt recommend peroxyde but if you do it, research on the right doses and never throw it near shrimp.
The copper is fine because its in a complexed form or its not free copper and the doses are low enough.

The APF EI salts are safe for shrimp using the APF mix recipe, I've let my tank go 3 weeks without a water change and taken the TDS from 150 to near 400, no RCS problems, I have also overdosed 300ml of micro (not APF but similar) into my tank accidentally, didn't kill the shrimp.

I have also sprayed hydrogen peroxide at 6% concentration on my bogwood to help rid it of some BBA, using a supposed safe limit of 0.025 per Litre I can dose 1.5ml to the tank over 24hrs, last time I used it I did 1.5ml in less than 2 minutes (spot treated, 10 squirts from a small spray bottle that does 0.15ml per squirt), more than 50% of the water was out of the tank at the time so everything got a good dosing, fish and shrimp were fine.

I have seen shrimp exhausted by being chased and nipped at by inquisitive small fish, they don't always live to fight another day, the hunt is continual until the fish go to sleep for the night.

I have also seen hungry RCS attack CRS that have just moulted and tried to pull the brain out the back of the carapace, looks like a piggy back but it's not really, especially post moult. I lost four female CRS to male CRS this way in the space of a few days when hunger outweighed the desire to mate.

So if you can discount that lot above then it's likely your water. From what I have read (haven't seen) is that there can be moulting problems when the tank temp is high and the water mineral content is high (body grows faster within a more mineralised shell and are crushed to death from within because they can't moult), if the water change water lowers the KH it can trigger a moult. If it's not that then there is something else present in the water that is harming them over time and they eventually succumb to its effects. Have you seen any of the RCS moult, have seen any of their castings?

I have also sprayed hydrogen peroxide at 6% concentration on my bogwood to help rid it of some BBA, using a supposed safe limit of 0.025 per Litre I can dose 1.5ml to the tank over 24hrs, last time I used it I did 1.5ml in less than 2 minutes (spot treated, 10 squirts from a small spray bottle that does 0.15ml per squirt), more than 50% of the water was out of the tank at the time so everything got a good dosing, fish and shrimp were fine.

The only thing here is that peroxide behaves different in each tank. I think things like organic matter, light, water changes or pH have an effect on it. There have also been a lot of cases where dozens have been killed this way. Also we dont really know how much he dosed so we cant really overlook it. Plus his shrimp seem to have died after a certain thing happened (2 in one day) so this is pointing towards a substance that was introduced or a chemical reaction taking place.

2ml of hydrogen peroxi 3%....spot dose when tank was half empty...then added water and filled tank up...tank is 40L

Back