• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rate of adding fish?

LancsRick

It's been a week and a half since I stripped a mature tank, and refilled with more substrate and included 10 Cardinal Tetras in there (keeping mulm and filter media). I'm going to look at adding some Corydoras (probably peppers) and Pearl Gourami, and was wondering what the rule of thumb was with regards to rate of adding fish? I need to add the Cory's as a group of 5 really from what I've read up on them, and I've got a gut feel that adding any Gourami's at the same time would be too much even for an established tank. I presume I'd be better leaving the Gourami's a week or two after the Cory's?

I personally wouldn't add them at the same time. Like you suggest I would split the additions. I personally would leave a good month inbetween but I am a cautious fellow!!!

I usually go a couple of weeks between additions and have always found that to be plenty of time for the filter to build up. Of course it depends how many fish you add at once. Bear in mind a pearl Gourami is probably the equivalent of three Corys in terms of bioload (or more if you get a more mature specimen).

That's what I thought, cheers.

On a related note - when I used to change filter media, I'd do just one element of the filter per week at most, and I'd leave the "old" sponge in the bottom of the tank for that week, in the mindset that it would ease the transition of bacteria loss. Is there any merit in that, or are the benefits only a placebo effect?!

Back