• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

R.O water- Remineralising needed?

Dominic

Hi guys,

So, the other week, we had a double-discount sale for the colleagues for a couple of days. This meant that I get 40% off anything i want in store, so I decided to make the most of it and buy a bunch of stuff, including "R.O".
At work, we had two R.O units- one better, smaller one, and one rubbish bigger one. As the store is ripping out the R.O units i decided to use my old tank to store 250 litres of R.O for a couple of weeks. It is currently in my shed with a 3200lph circulation pump running inside, to prevent the water becoming stagnant, and covered with black bin bags to prevent algae growth.

However, today, when I went to collect the water, to my horror, i saw that the smaller unit had already been ripped out. This left me with the larger, rubbish one. I decided to take the water anyway as it was better than nothing, and tested it when i got home. These are my results.

-pH- 7.0

-kH- 5

-gH- 6

If i'm right, correct me if i'm wrong, but the kH and gH seem ideal for keeping chocolate gourami? No remineralising will be needed right? I am going to be using pressurised co2 in this tank, so the ph should drop down to 6.0, however i may put some peat in the filter anyway.

What do you guys think? Does this seem suitable?

Any feedback/suggestions are welcome :)

its dKH mate, its not my R.O its r.o from work. The unit is getting thrown away in a couple of weeks though.

I think the gH is 71ppm, thats what the TDS meter said. However my API test kit says it was 6dKH.

I just want to know whether this needs remineralising- i'm new to this kind of stuff. I shouldnt expect major ph swings with this kH should i? and it should lower a little with peat in the filter right?

Your RO water should be 0 tds and 0 dKH ( or some other low value ) sounds like the membrane needs replacing.

Yeah the membrane is shot, bin the water- it might contain nasty stuff.

Back