• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Questions on new setup, out of the hobby a while

Million

Mods please move if there's somewhere more appropriate.

I'm getting back into the hobby after a few years off establishing a career, getting married, buying a house, having a couple of kids, generally paying the game of life.

I used to have several fairly small planted tanks, got as far as a 'medium tech' with some success.

I've bought an AquaOne Opti 110 - 80/40/40 Optiwhite, which arrives on Monday. It's going on a pine dresser which I will be customizing as a cabinet.

Looking at a nature aquarium look, heavily planted, some carpeting but not decided what yet. Livestock wise maybe ember tetra, shrimp and otos.

Lighting: I'm looking at getting a Chihiros Aquasky 801 LED - interested to hear whether anyone has opinions regarding this. Seems excellent value, and is very easy on the eye.

CO2: I have a JBL ProFlora but with a slightly broken reg, which I hope to resurrect.

Ferts: probably some variant of EI using dry powders.

Heater: I want to go inline external - never done that before. Does Hydor have the market sewn up? Any alternatives that cost a bit less?!

Filter: I've been looking at a Fluval 306. I've had an Eheim 2213 before and had quite a lot of issues with it, broken impeller, poor customer service, noisy motor. Any recommendations for a 110L tank would be appreciated. I also have a Koralia circulation powerhead to add to flow.

So really this is a spec check. I'd be keen to hear opinions on any of this kit, or recommendations for alternatives.

Thanks in anticipation.
Max

your plan sounds good to me.
I have used a hydor inline heater for years now with no issues.
My only advise would be get the biggest filter you can.Down the road if you want to try a co2 reactor ect these really decrease the flow from the filter.So it will pay you in the long run.You can allways turn the flow down,But not up.
Alot on here use JBL filters,Work well and are good value for money.
Welcome and good luck.

Thank you both. So I've had a look at JBL, and considering the Cristalprofi e901

Back