• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigen

So using tights will be fine in the filter, but you re generate them each month with bleach and this will make them last super long?

Never tried that. I will give this a try sometime.

mlgt said:
So using tights will be fine in the filter, but you re generate them each month with bleach and this will make them last super long?

Never tried that. I will give this a try sometime.

to be fair the tights bag was used on a smaller nano tank version and that did not need bleaching so often so i could not say how fast the bag degraded. I was lucky to have several of the pre-made purigen bags which i opened and divided into 2 for use in my big tank.

the granules are very tiny as mentioned earlier so do go everywhere if opened.....

as for the frequency of bleaching, the grains go brown with time, when i remembered and the bags looked suitably dirty i bleached them back to white or near white. As mentioned on the seachem site, when they stop changing colour they are done.

What would be the the best media to be replaced with purigen? eg Sponge, pre filter?
Also where is it best placed in the filter?
Toad

Hi,

Definitely Purigen last in the filter.

I tried tights once for Purigen and the stuff leached through the holes so I wouldn't recommend there use, last thing you want in the water column is thousands of tiny plastic beads.

I know they are expensive (£10 or therabouts) but the actual 'bag' that Seachem produce for use with Purigen is excellent, that's what I use anyway. I have two bags each with 250ml of Purigen in the filter and another two the same regenerating /soaking.

Yes I spent just under £100 Just on the Purigen stage of my filter in my planted tank. Worth it? I think so. My water is crystal clear and I don't have problems with algae but then that's probably more to do with getting the other factors right as I've already mentioned.

I tend to exchange the bags every 3 months or so. Remember though that Purigen typically can only be regenerated about 8 times before it looses its effectiveness, its not an indefinite never ending thing like some people seem to think. But going on that each 500ml that I buy will last me for at least 2 years if I don't foul it up. Wonder how much activated carbon or Zeolite would cost me to do the same job in that time frame?

I remember reading somewhere that it doesn't do it any good to let the particles dry out completley. Not sure how true or not seeing as they are effectively dry when you first buy it.

I've said it already but its well worth reiterating, be VERY careful which dechlorinator you use and NEVER treat meds particularly stress coat type meds whilst using Purigen as they will render the Purigen useless and you will not be able to regenerate it.

Loads of info and links from here:-

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-purigen-prime-anime-based-dechlorinator.html

Regards, Chris.

Back