• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

pruning hygrophilia

cichlidlover

hi all,
this might sound stupid, but how do I prune hygrophilia?
my plants seem to be growing well (had a little bit of GSA when i started the new tank) but they seem to be growing well at the top and shedding leaves from the bottom...do i pinch out the tops?
I feed TNC complete at 5/7 mil a day (instead of 25mil a week) so i thought the plants would now be growing well.
I have 80 watts of lighting and inject co2 at 3 BPS in my 125 ltr tank (using a DC with 4DKH water) the plants are quite well spaced so I would have thought that the bases would get enough light? my ciculation is also good at around 15 times turnover.

thank

mark

I'm not too sure it's purely down to lack of light that they are shedding lower leaves, it can be down to co2 flow also. In this thread viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1167 about half way down, clive aka ceg4048 explains that his pogostomon/eustaralis stellata, even with low light at it's base manages to retain it's lower leaves with pics to prove..it's worth a read

As for pruning hygro I tend to trim the tops and replant alongside the bottom half. Always worked for me
Hope it helps

Alastair

Back