• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Project Unknown

Stick with it @FrozenShivers, it's all just a learning curve for you to find what works for you. Remember to enjoy the process as well as the 'end' result :thumbup:

Presoaking the wood is always a good idea no matter whether its glued or not as it'll give you a chance to scrub it down and get all the loose bits off once soaked before it goes in

The glueing takes a bit of getting used to but should work well on both dry and wet hardscape, not sure how it didn't work well for you but I usually make sure the hardscape is pretty secure so it can't move and then rip a filter in half, lodge it in and put on the glue, the filter needs to be sodden in glue for it to work so you may need to use more than you think, after in it should be pretty firmly held in place but will still pull apart if not careful and will be solid after about an hour

Oh and just seen @Myrtle post above, I've found the only time it works for me is when it has hard touch points, building up big gaps never sets well for me

Hello, I tried cigarette filters, and it was a fail. Then I tried pieces of cotton pads, it was a success, because cotton is much softer and easier to insert between the gaps than cigarette filters, and the contact surface with the pieces is greater :) Do not hesitate to "overflow" the cotton with liquid superglue (never use gel).

I have seen wood being cable tied to rock that sits in the substrate, so you cannot see the rock and no need for glue. Would this be an option?

I couldn't do the superglue and filter thing either, glad it wasn't just me! I think the gaps were too big for it to work for me, though.
This may have been part of my issue, there was a decent gap between some of the hardscape.
Stick with it @FrozenShivers, it's all just a learning curve for you to find what works for you. Remember to enjoy the process as well as the 'end' result :thumbup:

Presoaking the wood is always a good idea no matter whether its glued or not as it'll give you a chance to scrub it down and get all the loose bits off once soaked before it goes in

The glueing takes a bit of getting used to but should work well on both dry and wet hardscape, not sure how it didn't work well for you but I usually make sure the hardscape is pretty secure so it can't move and then rip a filter in half, lodge it in and put on the glue, the filter needs to be sodden in glue for it to work so you may need to use more than you think, after in it should be pretty firmly held in place but will still pull apart if not careful and will be solid after about an hour

Oh and just seen @Myrtle post above, I've found the only time it works for me is when it has hard touch points, building up big gaps never sets well for me

Thanks Kalum, I should have just pre-soaked it in the first place but for some reason didn't think it would work if the wood had been pre-soaked. You're defo right about soaking it in glue, my first attempt I didn't put nearly enough glue on, I also tried to move it after a few minutes, I'll try it after it's had an hour to cure going forward and see how that goes, thank you!
Hello, I tried cigarette filters, and it was a fail. Then I tried pieces of cotton pads, it was a success, because cotton is much softer and easier to insert between the gaps than cigarette filters, and the contact surface with the pieces is greater :) Do not hesitate to "overflow" the cotton with liquid superglue (never use gel).
Once the wood is soaked I will try this method also, would filter floss work? (I have tons!)...thanks!
I have seen wood being cable tied to rock that sits in the substrate, so you cannot see the rock and no need for glue. Would this be an option?
I have seen this method too, I might try it but worried it would be hard to conceal it, guess there's no harm in buying some zip ties and testing it though :)

Not much to update but will do one anyway! Wood is still soaking away, I've changed the water, it was really dark from all the tannins. I have 2 weeks off work after this week so hopefully the wood will be soaked enough for me to do the hardscape whilst I'm off work. On a side note, I'm already getting fed up with poor customer service from companies, I still have no replacement hinge as it hasn't appeared (after a long period of radio silence), could be lost in the mail though, so I'll probably just try and find an equivalent from Screwfix or some thing. Chihiros replied once asking for a photography on the cracked plastic on the WRGB Slim, then went completely silent, I have since contacted them again.....to no reply. This is the first and last time I will use Chihiros if they don't get back to me, I'm actually tempted to just list the light & fixtures on here and sell it all then switch back to Twinstar out of principle.

Edit - Just realised how miserable and grumpy I sound in my old age :oops:

Last edited:
Sorry for the slow update, got a puppy so not had much free time :joyful:...here I go again, fingers crossed I can get it attached as I'm dying to get this tank setup! Out of curiosity, how long can the wood be out of water before it isn't soaked anymore?

Attachments

• IMG_7286.jpg
    IMG_7286.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 147
Good news guys, finally got the hardscape in, thanks so much for all the advice as it worked even though I felt like giving up, really happy. Just soaking the two small bits of detail wood but that's not a problem I'll add them after. Not got any plants currently, no harm in starting the cycling before I get my plants I assume? I could always chuck a few floaters in from my other tanks in the interim? Also I haven't setup the CO2 just yet, but I'd like to add the drop checker, is there an ideal placement for them? Filter is also up and running, so far so good!

Edit - Need to sort out a water change solution, bucket method is not working for me now that I've moved up to a larger tank..

Attachments

• IMG_7323.jpg
    IMG_7323.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Nearly ready to order, I've made a rough planting scheme, what do you guys think? Was basically just going to buy a bunch of random Anubias/Buce, a few different types of Java fern and then some red epiphytes (any suggestions? Not kept any red plants really..). Any feedback is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• Aquarium Planting Scheme.jpg
    Aquarium Planting Scheme.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Getting closer to finalising my plants list, I haven't used any of these plants before apart from the Anubias Nana Petite. Struggling to find any red epiphytes. How does my plant list sound? :)

Anubias Nana Petite x10
Java Fern Trident x3
Bucephalandra Sintang x4
Bucephalandra Theia x4
Bucephalandra Lamandeau x4
Bucephalandra Biblis x4
Bucephalandra Deep Purple x4

How about some fast growing stems at start and could remove later

To help with algae whilst everything grows in? Currently got a bunch of Amazonian Frogbit & Red Root Floaters for that..although if that won't suffice I do have some stems I could nick from another tank to put in temporarily.

Attachments

• IMG_7397.jpg
    IMG_7397.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90
I have finally got some plants in!

x10 Anubias nana petite
x4 Bucephalandra deep purple
x4 Bucephalandra Biblis

And then my floaters with that, I'm going to be ordering more plants, still haven't setup the CO2 yet either...will try find some nice red plants at some point also.

Attachments

• IMG_7495.jpg
    IMG_7495.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 79

Small video of the tank now that it has some fishes in it, harlequin rasbora, kuhli loach, pygmy cory, red cherry shrimp. Not a great quality video and still lots to do. Managed to get the Co2 setup, and tested, it's working (after a leak from the diffuser yesterday which was my own fault). It's a very tight fit in my cabinet next to the Biomaster 850, I had to cut the foam for the filter down even further, luckily it's so heavy it left a template imprinted for me to cut around :p. Going to order some more plants as it's still a bit too bare for my liking, then I'll actually switch the Co2 on once they arrive.

Attachments

• filter foam.jpg
    filter foam.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 68
  • co2.jpg
    co2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 66
Have now started the CO2, 6 hours photo period, I have upped the lights from 15% to around 25%, still low I know but I'm only putting around 1BPS through the inline diffuser so far.

Have drilled extra holes in the plastic part of the Biomaster intake, it's stopped purging regularly now...in fact, I've not heard it purge in hours! Awesome! What is the optimal place to put my drop checker? I'm going to buy a intake guard as I lost some RCS and a Kuhli loach (hence the ugly blue filter sponge on the intake for the moment), any one got a good and aesthetically pleasing guard they recommend for normal 16/22 intake?

Hi all,

About intake guards, I'm using like in the picture. I'm not sure about the links, but here you have for instance one from eBay. My are from A... express.
fa83398d4e58c7fb2e47b6bf9254b421.jpg

Wysłane z mojego 2203129G przy użyciu Tapatalka

Nice @FrozenShivers!

Just for my understanding and learning, there is not a lot of surface agitation at all - no doubt to stop off-gassing to some degree. But you also don't have a tiny stock of fish - a fair few indeed. I wonder if I am doing too much surface agitation (and perhaps spooking the fish). So am I right to assume that you are just letting the plants do the oxygenating? And do you do anything else at all, day or night, in terms of oxygen exchange?

Back