• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Project name - Forest

Fantastic scape, you make it look simple and the execution is brilliant. I really like the rotala at the back combined with the moss i think it gives the scape a sense of age. :thumbup:

7944609252_e73b064bd3_c.jpg

Weeping moss is fixed with riccia line

7944610864_ba59f055bc_c.jpg
Hi Victor, hope you are well?
Could you tell me if you had to remove your rocks individually to tie on the moss please? I can see some extra pieces were added afterwards with moss already attached, but some of the existing rock work looks too interlinked to have done this so I'm just wondering if you could share any tips please :)
Thanks,
Ady.

wow that is stunning a beautiful looking scape:clap: hats off to you mate keep the updates coming

thanks for sharing
Dean

Thank you :)

Honestly i do not have high hopes on this scape. We did this to have a nice stem forest in our showroom. Visitors enjoys the progress and the scape in overall like i do since i started it. But i do not think this will get a good ranking. I try to do my best both on the scape and the photography, but this is not that unique to get high at ranking. Contest is kind of an energizer for me. Once you have a goal you need to put more attention to the scape, maintenance, trimming. You can't be lazy. So it keeps us fit and fresh. But it's fun after all.

And i do enjoy these moments too when the tanks got to the point where only a perfect capture is needed. :)

I could imagine with different cutting it would look a bit different too. The stems now so dense that i think i could not trim it to wild really.

Perhaps you should do aquariums for yourself/business and not worry about a ranking or the ADA contest.
If it were myself:

I'd focus on what draws NEW hobbyist to the the hobby and sell that, work on maintenance contracts and hardscape sourcing locally.

You'll make more money, have more materials, and have more aquariums to play with.
Contest are fine for a few years to improve, but at some point, it's not worth your efforts.
I'd ponder that for a good while. If you got say a 8# ranking, how would this help your local business? Versus say if you got 108# but the tanks looked pretty close to the new hobbyist?
Not much at all. If this is a business, treat as such. Your market is the new people coming into your door, buying off the net etc.
Producing a nice aquascape book would be a wise marketing thing for your business also.

We do this hobby for ourselves, not for ADA or their judgement.
You also have too many tanks to worry about trying to produce one whopper for the contest.
I do. I focus on things I enjoy and that make me decent $, so I can remain motivated enough after 35+ years in the hobby.
Contest are helpful for hobbyists wanting to improve their skill set, but they have limitations after a few years.

I do like the rock in this tank:)

I was drawn to this hobby by pics from contests.

Heck, and what's wrong with joining a contest?
You have to produce beautiful tanks for your own business all the same.

I would feel worst without contest probably. I really think this is the best around this hobby. If you have enough motivations to do this on a good level this gives so much fun and joy. As a bonus you learn a lot of things not only about plants and overall balances but additional stuffs which probably you would not care about if you would just build a planted tank for yourself. Since you watch every plant more closely, you try to step out sometimes from your comfort zone etc.

It is not about ADA, AGA etc. This is a challenge for yourself. To do better every time or at least on the same level as before :)
I am a creative guy so maybe enjoy this better than many others probably, but til the contest feels fun it's worth to enter. I may will not do this 10 years later, but now it is fun :)

Contests are the energy booster behind the hobby. Not sure local community sites would buzz without the decade of work what these races added to the hobby. It is strange on the other hand many people not enter and feels this as an unnecessary exta or political races. But where would be Dave Chow? Oliver Knott, CAU team. How we would know Poland is an aquascaping empire or would meet ADG to pick an example from the US. Then George and Mark and last time Stu's blast. The list is too long to pull awesome names here. Some maybe only entered once in their life til now, but they were inspired by other contestant's work and their tank may inspired others too. I do not know how much times my fav guys entered to contests, but many scape visual just burned to my memory.

If money would be the main thing i probably would never be in this business. Since IT is more fruitful to boost your wallet :)
But i fully accept and understand if someone do this only on a business level. I am pulled in for a different reason. And maybe it's not healthy for my wallet on a long term, but definatelly a nice experience and a way to the creative expression what i could not use fully because i was limited by paid clients before in my venture :)

I think for many folks contest are fun and pushes them to develop and hone their skills. But, when you suggest a nice tank is not worthy of a competition, at that point........well...........now you are where the "growth and fun" are no longer offering you any benefit. It's no longer fun with that tank.
You seem to have hit that point.

For the final shoot i would capture a vision like this (from the past also)

8572331046_5ae648211e_b.jpg
Forest theme 2 by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Had a fun today as i made some test shooting. Some of the mosses need some cleaning as it has some algae but tomorrow i will brush them. Anyway in the meantime here is some shots and a teaser vid. Enjoy :)

8675643762_a7a071e8b9_b.jpg
Green Aqua Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

8675295822_f52fd1d2b6_b.jpg

8675294172_2c4e7d0ddf_b.jpg

Hi Viktor,

I have a 75 Gallon I plan on doing for a client and I will likely do something fairly similar to this display.
I showed him the Youtube to see if he'd be okay with the maintenance routine.
He said okay, we will see:)

How do you like the ATI fixtures?
I love them.

Cheers Tom,
It's a nice kind of setup. Not too hard to build, but the maintenance as you said :) (we will rescape it in the following weeks)
Still looks pretty good especially with the sandy front if you go to this direction.
We were inspired by Mr. Amano here. So the idea is not unique we've seen many similars but this does not matter it's a nice add on to any interrior.

Sandy front helps to light up better the scape adds some energy to the setup. If this would be grass or soil it would be a little depressing :)

ATI fixtures are awesome! I do love them too. I have to tell the best plants i've seen was under this fixture. It is extreamly powerful. And we love power :)
Stems goes crazy under this light.
This is one of our client's tank under ATI: Overgrow | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This is another example: Client Project | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So the light is awesome! However i've seen some faulty unit especially from the dimmer version. Support helped to solve it, but the ratio is like 10% to have something with these kind of lamps which is frustrating sometimes. Also sometimes the ventillation is noisy. So if you feels that do not hesitate to replace the part as it is not normal.

Still it's sleak, powerful and the result is awesome usually if you keep the balance :)

Back