• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Post-Mortem on my shrimp

Christor

Well it wont quite be like CSI, however I had in my small 10 litre tank 5 young cherry shrimp with 2 amanos, after 3 weeks or so I bought another 6, I acclimatised them the same way for over an hour, just the old placing a bag in the water and dark room

When I put the new shrimp into the water, with their own water too, ne of the amanos within hours went on its side, over the next 3 days I lost all but 6 cherry shrimp, unsure if the new ones survived or it was a mix

so, was it the new water? even though its actually fro the same fish place, or was it more so shock? the current shrimp are fine, zero problems ro deaths since!

so, what did I do wrong or could do to avoid such problems? really dont fancy forking out the 3 quid for cherries (only fish place in NI with cherries in regularly) and would rather wish to avoid the deaths if i bought online

thank you in advance for even reading :)

you bought another 6 cherries or amano? sounds like fast aclimation for most shrimp that could be a problem , or maybe an introduced illness from the new shrimp.

6 cherries sorry, yeah but at the same time I definitely took a lot more time acclimatising these ones, was over an hour adding a small cupful over that period from the current tank, so I thought I ha done it right, but maybe stress, just odd, and at the cost of 18 snoop simple remedy would be better ha :)

Hey Christor,

When acclimatizing my shrimp to a new tank, I put them in a large container. Below my tank of choice, Run an airline from the tank to the container (2 ltr jug for example) and use a tap for regulating air flow, and suck water from main tank into container. Adjust to however slow you desire ! Just keep an eye on jug :p

Hope this helps in future, as it is less intensive ( if you call adding cups of water to a bag or bucket hard work :lol: )

Regards

Cheers man and good idea! I think its been my main issue, even in my 125 litre tank, well that and the killis are boss in that tank :p

but my little 10 litre I would like a few more, obviously not overcrowd it, but just dont fancy watching any new shrimp die off instantly, cheers again! will tr again in a few weeks :)

Could have been something in the water you poured in with the new shrimp that the amano's didn't like, half a litre of slightly iffy water in a 10 litre is a significant percentage to upset things. Cherry shrimp I believe have a 1 to 2 year life span and as with fish, sometimes the shock of moving is enough to send them to the great fish tank in the sky...

You can easily have more cherries in your tank though - shrimp have a very small bio-load.

Thats what I also thought, that maybe the water change had a problem, they both come from very different areas and so the change in water chemistry, will look at simply adapting them then removing the water completely, thanks again another aspect Id considered lightly

Im from Northern Ireland Whitey, big place yeah but in Belfast and home, student see, ill pm you

Back