• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants ID

Tsigania

Hi,
I got some plants from a friend, both of us are completely lost on the IDs... excuses for my lousy pics, need to get a good camera :?

Some echinodorus, probably native

DSC01309.jpg

Hygrophilla ?

DSC01296.jpg

Potamogeton illinoensis ?

DSC01295.jpg

Completely unknown plant, probably native. Grows almost horizontally with high lights and co2.

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

Hygrophila corymbosa ?

DSC01304.jpg

Cheers! Javier

Hi all,
Definitely an Echinodorus and a Potamogeton, unfortunately it is probably "pick a name" to get a proper ID. Hygrophila corymbosa looks right as well. The other "Hygrophila" might be H. costata, but again it would be "pick a name", rather than a definitive ID.

The "completely unknown" plant looks like it might be from the Commelinaceae, because of way the leaf is unfolding ("involute"), and the 2 rowed, alternate leaves. You can check that it is a monocotyledon by the parallel leaf venation.

Assuming it does have parallel venation, you would need to look at the leaf base to be sure it was a Commelina or Tradescantia etc "Leaves form sheaths at their bases that surround the stem"
220px-Commelina_benghalensis_W_IMG_1553.jpg

If it has reticulate venation (like a net) it is a dicotyledon, but I have no idea even of which family it may belong to.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Definitely an Echinodorus and a Potamogeton, unfortunately it is probably "pick a name" to get a proper ID. Hygrophila corymbosa looks right as well. The other "Hygrophila" might be H. costata, but again it would be "pick a name", rather than a definitive ID.

The "completely unknown" plant looks like it might be from the Commelinaceae, because of way the leaf is unfolding ("involute"), and the 2 rowed, alternate leaves. You can check that it is a monocotyledon by the parallel leaf venation.

Assuming it does have parallel venation, you would need to look at the leaf base to be sure it was a Commelina or Tradescantia etc "Leaves form sheaths at their bases that surround the stem"
220px-Commelina_benghalensis_W_IMG_1553.jpg

If it has reticulate venation (like a net) it is a dicotyledon, but I have no idea even of which family it may belong to.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, very useful info... I will research a bit about this.
Cheers! Javier.

Back