• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting HC trouble

ltsai

Hi,

I bought a rectangular patch of HC from my local LFS and they are grown emersed. It does not come in a pot and had no rock wool at the bottom.

Followed TGM video and cut the patch up into small little patches, about 2x3cm.

With DSM method, trimmed the top and bottom and slightly pushed it into the substrate. They started melting after 2 weeks, HC melting in DSM | UK Aquatic Plant Society , and I flooded the tank.

Now, I add about 2ml of Excel per day, with CO2 and EI. About 30ppm of NO3,K, 2-3ppm PO4, 5ppm MG, per week and trace. I do dose some FE too. After 2 weeks, I am left with so little of HC. Majority of the patches are all brown and dead. I took them out, trimmed off the dead ones and planted the remaining individual stems back.

The hairgrass and echinodorus tenellus seems to be doing fine and alot greener, but no runners yet. Half of a single pot of Staurogyne melted but the rest seems to be doing fine too.

The fishless tank is not filled up with water, about 2/3 - 3/4 full with an internal 300l/h. Since the tank is not full, I did not plug in my main 600l/h hob filter, which I normally run with both filters.

Drop checker is lime green before lights on.

From the start of my planted tank career :), this is like my third attempt with HC and never had it grow properly, not even glosso.

Should I just buy another patch and plant the HC again? What should I do?

This is a 60x30x30 tank. I am using a single 24W T5HO tube. Light is on for 10 hours a day.

I was told by Hoppy @ TPT forum that the 24W T5HO is more than enough based on this PAR chart.

I took out my minimum filter floss in the filter and now have the diffuser under it. Now, the filter is helping to blow the small bubbles around the tank. Not sure whether this will help ... since my tank is already not full of water.

Still doing a 30%-50% weekly change of water.

Hi,
To me the grain size of the substrate is to big to be a good substrate for HC i would go for a much smaller grade to enable the tiny roots more chance of getting a hold.Better off with a shorter lighting period when starting off HC(6 hours max).If you have no livestock in up the co2 more.Could well be not enough flow in the tank,make sure co2 is getting to all parts of your tank and plants moving if not up the flow.Cheers mark

I am thinking about the flow. For a 56l tank that is only filled to about 3/4, I was hoping that the 300l/h internal filter is enough.

I wanted to upgrade to a 700-1200l/h internal powerhead or just buy a canister filter such as Eheim 2217. If I go for an Eheim, I may as well go for an UP inline atomizer with lilly pipes.... But then again, I'm limited by budget.

Added the spray bar to the internal filter and now had it directed at the HC in the foreground.

I have also increased my bubble rate and injection will now start 2 hours before lights on, instead of 1.5.

Should I just buy another patch because I'm now left with individual stems? Wouldn't it take forever to spread to cover the front?

Back