• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant growth bulbs

Kitalexander

Is there a benefit to the more expensive bulbs?
My vote is negative. I'm using LED lights exclusively. Some are plain white, others include RGB chips.
My opinion is that even if better balanced lighting were beneficial, the difference would be so marginal that other variables decide the fate of a tank much more decisively.
I believe advanced lighting makes sense for big plant nurseries as it may save some energy costs. That's all.
I frankly admit I'm no expert in this field.

Hello,

Thinking of ordering a plant growth bulb to use on my aquarium particularly now we’re getting less and less light from windows.

Pianta 18W Full Spectrum LED Grow Light for Indoor Plants - This one caught my eye but it’s a little pricey. There are cheaper versions on eBay such as this - SANSI 15W LED Plant Grow Light Bulb Full Spectrum 200W Equivalent Indoor Plants
Does anyone have any experience with these or recommendations? Is there a benefit to the more expensive bulbs?

Hard to decide without the tank dimensions and goals..
Both listed will be err "warmer' light than usually used over aquariums.
Now its good for plants not so good for aesthetics BUT that is a personal opinion.
The Sansi one w/ 60 degree optics is interesting though. Generally that will need a height increase.
1ft off the water for a 14" wide tank.. approx.
The Pianta does not list beam angle afaict.

3400k vs 4000k not much of a difference.

Samsung chips are a bit more efficient I suspect.
Neither appear dimmable.

Seems a bit like cost "sort of" matches quality.

It's a 17 l glass bowl aquarium. I currently have a cool LED I hadn’t realised they were warmer bulbs. I agree the effect of a warm bulb would not be too aesthetically pleasing.

Back