• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pillar of Convenience

Courtneybst

Admitting is the First Step
It's OK to be 'over' a setup before it's 'finished', and I suspect that is what happened with my Cenote biotope. The biotope and concept itself is beautiful but I was ultimately cramming a square peg into a round hole. To really grasp the epic nature of the cenotes I think you need a huge tank where the lilies and algae can grow to their maximum potential and not be cuffed by the ever-waning water level of a 90L aquarium.
EB11DCBE-18D1-4CFF-8FF8-6F85AAE37834.jpeg

The scape was still in relatively good condition but you can guess what happened after leaving pearlweed unchecked with high CO2 for 3 weeks...
ED564ECC-EFC1-4491-8939-5CA057431B1D.jpeg

Rapid Refresh
Recently I've been making adjustments to my setups to make them more manageable and therefore more enjoyable. For this tank in particular I'm thinking of changing to a HOB filter (still haven't fully decided on this) and making it a low energy setup. The only mild inconvenience I will inflict upon myself is that I'd like to cut the water with RO to bring my water parameters down to more palatable levels. I've also only ever run tiny soft water tanks so it will be an interesting challenge...or perhaps it won't be a challenge at all! Who knows.

I've since stripped the tank of all the plants, removed all the hardscape and rescaped completey. I used the 'off-cut' from the jumbo piece of wood I used in my Tidy Jungle because I wanted something simple, something that clearly wasn't going to float and also made just as big of a visual statement as a high energy scape.

After a few iterations I've gone with this layout. I only had to glue two things which fills me with joy lol.
C2D71C25-62DE-429A-95C9-C3818C44A3C3.jpeg

This is the planting plan; a carpet (hopefully) of Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, interplanted with Cryptocoryne albida brown, Cryptocoryne parva and Helanthium tenellum. I'm undecided on the midground transition plant for the left hand side, but the back will be a mix of Cryptocoryne balansae and Cryptocoryne spirals 'Red'. The theme is all quite grassy textures and ideally no stems but will submit for a very nice and easy one. I may even use the pearlweed from the last scape temporarily and will probably add small bits of Anubias and Bucephalandra for contrast.
259C836A-E25D-4A6E-ABE2-7188156E1DB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Shame the Cenote scape didn't work out @Courtneybst - but what are those rocks, and where did you source them, they look great!
Tis a shame! I had high hopes for it. Although many substitutions had to be made and it was starting to not feel very biotope accurate at all.

These are Druid boulders from WIO. It was a bit of an accidental sponsorship if you like. I contacted them because I was interested in their likeness to Hakkai stone but less expensive. They sent them over when I was rescaping my big tank but never requested any money despite me offering! So I take it as a kind gesture. They are really beautiful though, very nicely textured and are inert! Also comes in mini boulders and gravels of various sizes, but I'm yet to see any retailer in the UK selling the large boulder size.

They look like the rocks found in the central belt of Scotland rivers 👍

It's Still Standing... Yeah Yeah Yeah
To my surprise but delight, the hardscape is still standing and hasn't fallen over! Knock on wood (actually don't lol).
F33220BF-7ED0-4FBC-9C51-D737C77112F8.jpeg

The plants also arrived yesterday so I plugged the soil with some Seachem root tabs and planted them away.
16F5C5AF-563A-4E5A-BEE7-09C87385FCF7.jpeg

I was having a really hard time trying to figure out if the lighting was ok for low energy. Currently I've got the Chihiros WRGB II set on R40% G30% B25% on for 12 hours and the light is a good 30cm from the surface. I tried testing the PAR with that Photone app and it was saying around 40 in the main carpet area but a few hundred at the surface! Dosing 1ml per day of an APT clone from day one since these are mostly in vitro plants.
3D284560-9AB1-4D32-9CCB-8E211AD6AD5A.jpeg

Please do chime in if you have any thoughts on this! I haven't done low energy for some time...

I also refilled with half RO water and these are the current parameters;
pH 7.4
TDS 245 (higher than expected)
KH 4
GH 6

Attachments

• 507DCCBA-3DE1-4711-A232-D6CCED6DBD8D.jpeg
    507DCCBA-3DE1-4711-A232-D6CCED6DBD8D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 67
TDS 245 (higher than expected)
Nothing to worry about at this stage I'd say. Whats your straight tap TDS? With 50% RO 50% tap, you can't except less than half your straight tap TDS. Also your substrate etc. might still be leaching quite a bit at this stage + whatever you dose adds to the TDS as well of course.

I predict this will look great when it settles in!

Cheers,
Michael

Back