• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Peacock Gudgeon eggs

My gudgeons laid eggs and the male has been guarding them for almost 2 weeks now. I can see the eggs and they have eyes but I would think they should have hatched by now and be free swimming. Anyone with experience with these guys?

Hi, two weeks is a long time for them to hatch from what I can remember (I bred them a couple of times many many years ago). Can I ask the tank temperature and are you certain they were laid that long ago. I think my male protected the area for a while before he inticed the female in. If they are looking healthy I would just wait a while longer.

Temperature is around 72 degrees, and yes I saw the eggs and the female was already dismissed from the area by the male. He’s continuing to guard them so I’d like to think they are healthy if he’s still protecting them.

22c is lower than I kept them, 24-25c, and the eggs hatched after about a week I think, so yours could be a day or two longer. Could they be a second brood of eggs? Mine were pretty prolific spawners and didn't have much space between broods. The fry were also picked off before I separated them to their own tank.

22c is lower than I kept them, 24-25c, and the eggs hatched after about a week I think, so yours could be a day or two longer. Could they be a second brood of eggs? Mine were pretty prolific spawners and didn't have much space between broods. The fry were also picked off before I separated them to their own tank.
Appreciate the insight. Now correct me if I’m wrong, the eggs hatch within several days. However even though they hatch, it takes much longer for them to become free swimming or even move correct? Because I believe they have hatched they just haven’t reached free swimming yet.

I sware today I noticed a wiggler dart around the breeder box but then it disappeared. I’ll continue to monitor as you suggested.

It's a long time since I bred them and it was actually a colleagues tank ( they were on maternity leave), so I'm not an expert by any means so don't take this as gospel. I think they hatched after 6-7 days and didn't become free swimming until a few days later. This was in a breeding facility so the male got removed to another tank just before they hatched and the fry raised in situ.

If you have seen wrigglers then I think you are right and they were successful. I was there to breed/play with marine stuff but these always caught my eye as they are very similar to marine gobies. We had copious amounts of baby brine shrimp which I think helped. Good luck.

Found two free swimming today, man they are TINY!!!! I’m prob missing more but I still see some in the pipe underneath the male. I’m thinking I should leave him in case those are just slow to catch up, what’s your thought? I’d hate to remove him and the others get a fungus or something from not being fanned with freshwater. I’ve placed some moss in the box for them to forage in as well as hide.

I would guess they have all hatched if you are seeing wrigglers now. I messaged my old colleague because I've been looking for a project and these intrigued me, she said the males hang around with the fry until they have absorbed their yolk sack and hatch in 5-6 days at 24c.
When I looked after them I was under instruction to remove the male on the night they were expected to hatch, so I don't have any practical knowledge of leaving him with them but I do trust her experience 100%.

Back