• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PBM's Dennerle Scapers 55

It’s flooded. No floaters with the MC so a relief there.

I’m cycling with media from the old tank and have ‘dirtied’ the water with some mulm from same. How long should the cycle take?

I’ll start liquid carbon and ferts - do I need to carry out large water changes as per a ‘totally new’ tank routine?

Thanks again.

Well... some "progress" (excuse the rocks holding down the woodscape).

• 50% planted - more mosses, Dwarf Sag and S.Repens to come.
• A few more twigs/branches and 'small detail' stonework to add.
• Temporary Eheim Pickup 60 filter doing the cycle - water seems to be clearing reasonably quickly.
• Soon as parameters are good I'll add some Amano and maybe a couple Ottos as a tidy-up crew.

1E8583F8-F713-401B-9F4B-20DF33FC9461.jpeg

Have the white slime and fungus growing all over my spiderwood as well. I try to siphon most of it out during WC. Waiting to add Amano Shrimp and otos so they can have a feast!

Current status:

• Bacterial bloom-a-go-go.
• Eheim Aqua Compact and Dennerle (rebranded AquaEl) heater installed.
• Awaiting some S. Repens to fill in the left side and centre - and some more flame moss to adorn the wood.

Carried out a parameter test today out of interest:
0 Ammonia (had just added Prime so probably high)
1.0 Nitrites
40ppm Nitrates.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to settle down, tbh. Ho-hum.

E9E26476-FA72-43B3-8919-B9312540B4C4.jpeg

And my poor old 22l Aqua One cube ... now a butchered donor/holding tank. Hang in there, Cherries! :nailbiting:

CB4C843F-60DA-4404-A9D5-2096C0A582C1.jpeg

The new wood started 'spotting' during dry start. Just couldn't be arsed fighting it. Mind you, now I have that 'orrible white slime... which I'm confident is a) temporary and b) shrimp food. ;)

To be honest my shrimp didn’t really touch the slime in mine, it just retreated one day. I done a DSM a while back and I swear the mould originated from the wood, now I have a water butt in the garden I throw all my wood in for a few weeks before I order my plants. You get the white slime a little on flooding but I didn’t get any mould during the dry starts after that.

Not in my experience! ;)

Anyhoo - I ripped the wood out and started again, scraping off the offending CA. I then set about tying it on. That process is easy enough but how do you tie-off the knot when you’re finished winding?

Please don’t say ‘a dab of superglue’!

Damn thing’ still cycling, too. So much for swapping the filters and instant cycles...

Last edited:
That's about it for set up... pretty much what I envisioned with perhaps a few more Crypts along the back. Doubtless I'll add a couple more Bucephalandra too. A disorderly mess at the moment but things should hopefully grown in nicely. Still surprised that Monte Carlo's doing well.

Wish it would hurry up and cycle though. :mad: I did a complete change of substrate on my nipper's 28l non-planted 'toy tank' yesterday. Old gravel out, new gravel in - unwashed, straight from the bag. Bloom disappeared in less than four hours with just a poxy trickle tray filter. Not this one though... oh no... :lol:

I'd like something to sit on the top of that bare patch of wood at the back. Was thinking a Java Fern but I reckon it'll fry so close to the LED - any suggestions?

0C64B486-7EDD-4EF9-8C0A-759C7E2ECAFA.jpeg

Now that you've nicely tied the moss, get out the scissors & trim it back tightly to the wood - I promise it will come out better long term :)
(this seems to encourage adhesion to the wood/rock & you don't get any moss "dead zones" at the point of attachment - there's a video somewhere with Takashi Amano tieing moss, trimming, trimming again as tank develops)

In a CO2 tank, it will adapt readily enough to higher light

Have you considered H pinnatifida?

Back