• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paul's 200L, "Punishment of Luxury"

Paul,

I experienced that with my HC its not a problem its just die back, i left it for a couple of weeks then gave it all a good prune and it all grew back super healthy. You have to expect some of the leaves etc wont survive. Also You dont know how the HC was grown b4 you bought it and it could be making the change fro emerged to immersed (think thats right way round)
Don't panic, it should be fine. Some of my HC looks like that in my new setup. :thumbup:

Whew! Thanks for the reassurance Andy - now you know why I called this "Punishment of Luxury" - the Luxury was getting such a high-grade set-up; the Punishment is the nerve wracking process I'm going through now! :arghh:

Why anyone thought the best terms to describe plants growing out-of-water and in-water were 'emersed' and 'immersed', heaven only knows...

One other thought (or fret) - I'm restricting lighting to 2x24w T5s for 6 hours at the moment - and I do mean 24w, not 54w. Clive stresses the importance of concentrating on good flow, CO2 and nutrients, and I'm confident I've got those nailed. But 2x24w is less than 1wpg - am I being over-cautious on a 100cmLx45cmWx55cmH tank?

paul.in.kendal said:
One other thought (or fret) - I'm restricting lighting to 2x24w T5s for 6 hours at the moment - and I do mean 24w, not 54w. Clive stresses the importance of concentrating on good flow, CO2 and nutrients, and I'm confident I've got those nailed. But 2x24w is less than 1wpg - am I being over-cautious on a 100cmLx45cmWx55cmH tank?
Ive been doing the same with mine paul. I was running 2x24w for a week and i bumped up to 4x24w last night. Im by no means an expert at this so dont take it as read that you should be doing the same! Im going to see how mine goes on 96W this week and evaluate it and any growth/algae at the weekend.

hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along to advise you accordingly soon :D

That's great Stu - I'll be watching Llyn Peninsula like a hawk for news on what impact your lighting change has. My 70% water changes and filter floss are making an impact on the green water - I'm quietly hoping I've turned the corner on that one. It's good to get things right, but even better to face challenges and resolve them!

realy nice looking tank :thumbup: , the HC should grow quite quick when it gets used to the water conditions (then you will want to get rid of it because it is a pain in the blahblahblahblah). with no animals in the tank you could bump up your doasing and co2 to help out the plants. i would change to water changing twice per week to try and make it a bit more stable, that should let the plants beat the algae.

mattyc said:
realy nice looking tank :thumbup:
Thanks Matty!
mattyc said:
...the HC should grow quite quick when it gets used to the water conditions (then you will want to get rid of it because it is a pain in the blahblahblahblah).
I love pruning in my garden, so pain in the blahblahblahblah is fine by me. Part of the reason for getting into planted tanks was to give my green fingers exercise when my winter garden is looking after itself.

Hey Paul

You know how we where talking about HC melting, here is a pic of piece of mine which has done just that(if you look closely a large amount of the leaves had gone transparent), Shortly after this photo i cut off all the dead stuff and am now waiting for new for new growth.
web.jpg

Interestingly, this was all bought from the same place why isnt all of it doing it? :geek:

Thanks for that, Andy. When you say you cut off all the dead stuff, did this leave some clumps completely devoid of leaves, and if so, did these grow back? All my HC came from the same source, too, yet like you, some is fine and others not. I wondered whether this was due to root damage caused to some clumps by my inexperienced (and therefore probably hamfisted) planting technique. I have noticed that one flourishing clump wedged in the rockwork proceeded to go 'orrible when it floated free after a few days and I stuffed it back in the same place - did I damage the plant second time round? :?:

paul.in.kendal said:
whether this was due to root damage caused to some clumps by my inexperienced (and therefore probably hamfisted) planting technique.

not likely mate. HC is more hardy than people think. we plant without roots right?...individual method, so thats not the course.

it's demanding of co2 ferts and lights IME.

you'll always get die off of some kind. get rid of the bad ASAP.

Aargh! Came in from work today (Day Fourteen), pottering around, and realised it was quiet... too quiet. The penny dropped - no friendly chuckle from the reactor! Drop checker blue, both dials on the regulator at zero. I've been bashing the CO2 in, but after thirteen days this is ridiculous!

Immediately dosed with Easycarbo, swapped to a fresh 3kg cylinder, and whipped out the mankiest clumps of HC, as per Saintly above - they came up in nasty, soggy lumps.

Darlings, I've got to tell you this is one hell of an emotional roller-coaster - who needs drugs?!! :shifty:

Aah, slight problem - the lights were on when I got home. Didn't know if I should turn them off, so they're still on, but the DC is showing green now. Can it get any worse? Yeah, I thought so...

DAY TWENTY-TWO ...and I'm still having trials and tribulations. My filter has been quietly leaking, blowing some of the cabinet chipboard, which is a real pain. The damage can't be seen when the doors are closed, but it's a real downer.

I've removed the fine floss from the bottom of the filter and reinstalled the siporax. I've restarted full ferts (instead of just K2SO4), but at slightly less than 50% of full EI levels (because my plant mass has been going down, not up!). Lighting has been at 48w for six hours daily plus a 20 minute additional 'midday' burst of 150w MH for a few days now with no obvious ill-effects; I'm upping the 150w boost to 40 minutes from today. Been doing 1x60% water change every other day for a week now.

Algae - green water hasn't gone, but it's much diminished - I'm hoping as the set-up matures it'll cure itself. Some hair algae about, especially on the HC and hairgrass - I'm hoping cycling will be completed fairly soon, so I can get some algae munchers in there. Doing some Easycarbo spot-dosing, which doesn't seem to make much difference - although for all I know the algae could be much worse without it.

Plants - growth (which was never that strong) has tailed off generally - I'm hoping upping dosing and lights will reverse that trend. Im guessing that I've been a bit over-cautious (less than 1wpg) with lights in a fairly deep tank - as I've now got a whole three weeks of experience (!) under my belt, I'm trusting I'll spot any adverse reaction to the beefed-up regime quickly.

I've lost a good 60% of the HC so far - the remainder is looking a bit sorry for itself, too, with hair algae and die-back.

Hydrocotyle has stopped growing, but only suffering very minor algal growth.

Rotala has stopped growing, but looks healthy.

Pogostemon has had quite a bit of older leaf die-back, but what remains looks healthy, with virtually no algae.

Staurogyne - hitherto my strongest grower - has stopped growing, but looks healthy. I'm intending to use this as my primary 'indicator' plant.

Vallis - doesn't seem to have done a thing since tank start-up. Maybe a smidgeon of new growth from the base.

Hairgrass - no recent growth after initial burst. That new growth looks healthy, but the original trimmed stuff has hosted quite a bit of algae. This is the only algae that seems to have been knocked back by the Easycarbo.

Limnobium - older mature leaves have died off, but quite a few new plantlets have formed. Perhaps my best performer, especially since I put on the MH, which encourages me to increase the MH a little more. This was always supposed to be a temporary resident to boost plant mass in the early days. I like the way it settles in the vallis; I'll be keeping some in the tank longterm I reckon - it may be all that survives! (Only half-joking...)

Not much point in posting pics, as the only real change you'd see is - more substrate visible!

dont give up ! i think you have to change the output of your filter that green pipe whit many hols ! put just a tube with 1 hole for a better current in the water ! good luck !

OK, after about six weeks I'm finally starting to coax some proper growth out of this. My vallis is sending out runners and my pogostemon helferi is rooting into the substrate so I can remove older dieing leaves without it floating every time. The HC is now growing really tiny immersed leaves, after the slightly larger emersed growth melted. I was over-nervous about the melting, and unnecessarily chucked out a fair bit of the HC - you live and learn.

The nitrite level is sticking stubbornly at 0.1 ppm - so I'm stubbornly resisting the temptation to introduce shrimp or otos. I started testing nitrite with Aquarian dipstrips, which seemed to be totally useless. Now I'm testing witha JBL testset, which at least appears to be more effective.

Despite the nitrite I've got a few snails developing - little conical-shelled thingies about 6mm long.

Still doing 60% water changes every other day, and now dosing leanish EI, with daily easycarbo spot dosed on algae.

Hey mate hang in there. The tank is nice looking and it's worth sticking till the very end. I had mine for 3 months now and I've suffered from staghorn, BGA, BBA, Cladophora and hair algae and now I'm just about to come out of the algae mess and have a breath of fresh air. Your sounds better than mine. I'll race you too the end to see who's tank fair better in the finale shot. :D

WEEK SIX

I'm feeling increasingly confident about this, after weeks of uncertainty and worry. I almost think I'm starting to get a 'feel' for planted aquaria! (Wait for the next crash...)

Just done my first-ever proper clean-up - scrubbing rocks, cleaning pipes, big water change. All done without a hitch (thanks to good advice on here - ta all, esp. Flyfisherman). Although it took rather longer than expected. I was amazed how much algal growth there was on the rocks. Did a first proper trim while I was about it. Surprised how much everything had grown. Vallis runners needed to be detached and removed to avoid encroaching on the staurogyne. The staurogyne was trimmed quite hard, taking out a fair bit of algae-affected growth. No trimming of rotala - I'm waiting for that to reach the surface.

dscf0059hh.jpg

dscf0074wp.jpg

The limnobium is a bit holey - would it be these snails? Would they eat healthy growth, or only if it's ailing?

dscf0070e.jpg

dscf0071k.jpg

dscf0072q.jpg

I find that when my frogbit got caught in the current and lodge themselve between filter pipes and their leaves get submerged for a period of time, their leaves will die off. It also happens when it get tipped over for any reason. It will try to correct it's own position but the leave will rot off like the one you have in the picture. They normally throw off plantlets that grow upwards prior to that so the plant don't just die off. However, by getting rid of the bad leaves and keeping them upright will prevent this from happening.

I also submerged my outlet from my filter to a lot more than I used to do as I find that this plant don't do well in strong currents. Their long roots got in the way and they'll get lodge somewhere.

Back