• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otos stuck in Eheim Skim 350

Wisey

I have the Eheim Skim350, first fish went in the tank on Sunday night which were 6 Otos. 5 looked happy, but 1 looked very listless and subdued after acclimation. Monday night we found 1 Oto dead in the skimmer. I assumed that he had died, then floated and was sucked in.

Today we lost another Oto, couldn't see him anywhere. Checked the skimmer again and he was in there, but thankfully alive! I switched it off and removed the weir and after a few minutes he swam out.

Loads of people seem to use this skimmer, has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking maybe a mesh pre filter of some sort, maybe a piece of ladies stocking. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks, Xim just posted a link on my journal to another thread I hadn't seen and that has a picture with the mesh. I'm going away with work for two nights tomorrow, so think ill leave it off and setup a solution at the weekend.

Reactions: tim
I just tried filter floss, but it creates too much suction on the weir and just drags it right down under the surface. I'll have to find some stainless mesh.

Thanks! I ordered some plastic mesh fly screen from eBay earlier. Will try that but if that's no good will go to that site.

I've used plastic mesh, tried stainless stell but it was too heavy and weir went too low under surface. I suppose with any kind of mesh you'd better to increase floating properties. Also it noticeable reduced the flow.

Back