• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions for a overflow setup

Very clear diagram. Have you thought about a float switch in the sump. You can get then to turn on or off either up or down or horizontal. [Still have not got round to wiring mine in, though moved away from a sump (no room) to an overhead 'dry' trickle filter. Very mindful of volumes, our area is prone to power cuts.

Yes very often and realy would like to implement it. Getting a water line there aint a problem. I still have a few models at hand in case.. But for now i do not have acces to sewage near the tank for the emergency overflow for the sump in case the float switch valve starts to leak due to dirt (calcium etc.) build up.
Once i have sewage access i definitively will install one.. :) But that is for auto fill.. That would be mechanical valve in the waterline..

Since you talk about wiring i guess you mean a floater switch for the pump.?. Not sure. In case.. I tried and it doesn't work in practice. Because everytime the pump stops you will have some water running back into the sump. Constantly lifting the switch. Such a switch only needs a milimeter to disconent/connect. It will result in pump going on and off in a constant cycle. I experienced it up to once every minute, that's 60 x on/off during an hour. Over night, nobody present at the tank it'll be 6 hours? x 60 = on/off cycle of 360 x.. Not good for the pumps lifespan..

Last edited:
Yes very often and realy would like to implement it. Getting a water line there aint a problem. I still have a few models at hand in case.. But for now i do not have acces to sewage near the tank for the emergency overflow for the sump in case the float switch valve starts to leak due to dirt (calcium etc.) build up.
Once i have sewage access i definitively will install one.. :) But that is for auto fill.. That would be mechanical valve in the waterline..

Since you talk about wiring i guess you mean a floater switch for the pump.?. Not sure. In case.. I tried and it doesn't work in practice. Because everytime the pump stops you will have some water running back into the sump. Constantly lifting the switch. Such a switch only needs a milimeter to disconent/connect. It will result in pump going on and off in a constant cycle. I experienced it up to once every minute, that's 60 x on/off during an hour. Over night, nobody present at the tank it'll be 6 hours? x 60 = on/off cycle of 360 x.. Not good for the pumps lifespan..

Very good point about the sensitivity of a float switch, procrastination about not fitting one was a good thing. My last tank had a sump with an overflow to a large garden, drilled through the house wall. Now moved, different house, different tank but still a large garden. If only I could get the water to flow uphill Lol.

Back