• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

open top what best sheeting for top of tank

flexi

Seedling
hi first post i have open top aquarium what best sheeting to place on top of tank and were to buy. great forum learning alot thanks

You can put any type of cover on an aquarium. Glass, plastic w/ lights, light fixtures, and screens are all made to fit universal sized tanks. So you can most likely find one that fits. And the type you use all depends on what you're keeping, your needs, and your budget. Screen tops aren't the best for fish as you lose water and they don't accommodate a filter. Glass are a bit cheaper and an be altered to fit your tank, just be sure there's room for a filter and for air to get in. And lights with hoods are most common, they have everything you need. But they're expensive, as are replacement bulbs. So, you can use whatever you'd like as long as it will serve the needs of both you and your animal.

hi thanks for replying tank open top at moment it a superfish 70 tank 22inches x 12 inches i have taken lid of and got growbeam 1500 lighting on bracket i was thinking of polycarbonate sheet on top to stop shrimps and fish jumping out . at the moment dropped water level 2cm got floating plants in but will nerite snails and shrimps escape without sheeting.

thanks ian are the secondary double glazing sheets for b&q polycarbonate and will they cut to size thanks for replying ian

This is the stuff, this is 6mm but a very large sheet in packs of two. I am sure it is available in smaller sheets in store. Maybe greenhouse section ?
http://www.diy.com/departments/clea...sheet-1220mm-x-610mm-pack-of-2/1233936_BQ.prd

Not sure 4mm or 6mm. Some people report 4mm bowing after a while, but depends on your tank size.

I bet smaller bits, cut to size will be available on Ebay. It is I have just looked.

I doubt the in store saw would cut this stuff as it would most likely shatter or melt it.

These type hooked blades cut it quite well. Just put sellotape over your cut and use a straight edge. Then flame polish the edges. I fitted this stuff in my last house over the single glazed windows.
http://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-knife-blades-pack-of-5/677340_BQ.prd

thank for replies andy if you can get me link would be grateful i have learnt so much on the forums thanks

hi james thanks for link with video will try to get the mesh kit set thanks

thanks andy going to get charterhouse net kit tomorrow

Back