• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

One of those stupid threads. Suggest fish for....plastic tubs, ha, ha

I've been deliberating at getting a laguna standalone pond.

The one I was looking at is just 30cm high...My idea is to have and FX6 on it for the hillstreams but since the pond is going to sit on the ground, will the filter be able to get primed properly? Any ideas? I know my old APS filters have no problem but my JBL Cristal Profi e1500 was really struggling last year after setup on the other pond, which is 73cm high...So I wonder......

Pond wise and tubs there are many Options now.
For the pond I am going to have, I will be having either WCMMS or Medaka whichever I can source. Medaka I would prefer as they can over winter.
In the past I have usedTub Ponds for the following fish with success:

These were brought inside over winter.
Paradise fish - Have had them breed in tubs
Coral Platties - Have bred
Threadfin Rainbows - stunning colors outside
Odessa, Pentazona, Five Banded, Tiger Barbs
Egyptian Mouth Brooders
Guppies and Endlers
Bettas for spawning in washing up tubs.
Dwarf Chain Loach

Left outside in colder months
All Types of Danios. Most stunning were Leucistic Long Fin Zebra - They developed a lovely irridescence on their heads that were visible at night with flashlight.
Gold WCMM and Standard.
Hetrandria Formosa
American Flagfish - think there is still a water butt with them in at one of my old houses.

If you look closely as pump/filter manuals, minimum & maximum "head" (& corresponding flowrates - though I believe manufacturers are trying to avoid listing these now) should be listed

How long have you had these hillstreams - they must be a smaller species (or waiting for their tank upgrade to grow ;))

How long have you had these hillstreams - they must be a smaller species (or waiting for their tank upgrade to grow ;))

I've had them since last May 2017. Zero growth:confused:.....Well, a tiny bi just fattened up a bit around the tails.

Considering their tiny size now, they don't exactly need a tank upgrade....I just want to make it right for them as they're not in a typical hillstream tank. The tank is stuffed with crypts and has a sand bottom,....no stones, no nothing. But they have a good flow going and they seem to do ok, at least so far... They love sifting through sand...I never expected that.....:eek: and they tend to make sand storms at feeding time... really intense sand sifting.....I won't rush them because if I set up another tank, it's got to mature a bit before the hillstreams go in...

Last edited:
Well, I decided against the laguna pond. Its way too shallow. The bigger size is way too big for what I want and is also just 46cm tall.

So I am going to get a heavy duty polyethylene water tight potable tank, similar make to my other one but rectangular. Its 320 litres and 62.5cm height, just over 3f long, nearly 4f. The only problem is its white...oh well...

I went to a fancy fish shop today. I had a look at the white cloud minnows and they're just not my type of fish behaviour wise...not sure I want them. They do look nice on youtube though, so I might re-consider. I just remembered about danio choprae....another option, plus the tons of fish suggested above which I am still researching slowly, trying to make up my mind..Thanks guys...

I got a bag of really nice fine gravel/sand size, very nice brownish/yellowish colour. I saw it in one of the shop tanks, heavy enough for high flow but fine enough to suite bottom feeders. The grains are nicely round-ish too. I also found where to get nice round coloured river pebbles, quite cheap. I bought a few plant hanging baskets... They're black, lol,..This mini pond is already looking rather ugly :mad: Please don't laugh. The only thing I am relieved about is how easy it is to move a plastic tub around to set it up...unlike glass tanks...And its easy enough dragging them around half empty too:rolleyes:

It's been a while but I have been slowly progressing towards my goal of a cold water tub. I've purchased all my bits and pieces, filter, lights, etc...The only thing I still don't have is the tank. As I am considering a plastic sturdy polyethylene tub, it's the cheapest bit ;)

I actually got some of the crew as well and have been looking after a new bunch of hillstream loaches in a much smaller tub.They're doing great, or at least ok-ish. I had some issue getting them to eat fish food at first as they are wild caught, plus I had no algae. Now I've got tons of it in the tub they are in and besides the algae I think they're also eating the live blackworms plus some of the food. It's just over 100 litres or so..They need the upgrade before I go on summer holiday in a few months.

The only thing stopping me getting my larger tub is the dimensions of the tub on offer of the type I want to get, which is a really sturdy food grain container, one piece molded, stand alone, and can even be drilled. I have a choice between a 227litre and 320litre. I really want the 320 litre but it is quite wide, meaning I am going to have to literally "go around" it when I walk in as it's going to be next to the door....It's not that big of a deal because I am the only person walking in that room but where am I going to put my viewing chair :p Next to it is my 900 litre pond so I need to think!! I can make it work if I shut down my two 80L tubs, then the chair can be placed there :) In the end of the day all I got in these tubs is one platy and a few hundreds of shrimp :sick:

One thing I want to ask for my choice of schoolers...I am not keen on fish that will eat from the bottom as they'll compete for food...I am not sure of all the suggested ones on here which ones don't eat from the bottom. For example, I have harlequin rasboras and denison barbs that almost don't touch food from the bottom. My livebearers on another hand used to outcompete my corys for food....Decisions....

Back