• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Olympus is Calling.

After a week of dosing and an Fe EDDHA weekly dose of 0.6ppm its quite red
upload_2019-3-22_17-6-52.png

upload_2019-3-22_17-8-17.png

Was thinking about doing a Trace mix of both Fe DTPA and Fe EDDTA so they will both yield say 0.3ppm a week each so 0.6ppm total. Took a glass full out and it only has a slight tinge, but with full tank width its too much IMO.

Read IRON CHELATE INTERFERENCE: THE DOWNSIDE OF FE-EDDHA AND FE-HBED. Fe EDDHA seems to not have an issue with Light, unlike Fe DTPA is broken down by it.

Have you considered reducing the pH of your tank and water change water. This could be done by the use of phosphoric acid and potassium hydrogen sulphate. With a bit of juggling of numbers you could get EI dosing by reducing the corresponding salts that are usually used. This would enable you to use less stable chelates to deliver iron and other transition metal ions. This is the path that I chose when I noticed an upward drift in pH in my tank. If you do go down this route then dilute phosphoric acid is easier to use than the concentrated.

Nice tank & planting.

Have you considered reducing the pH of your tank and water change water. This could be done by the use of phosphoric acid and potassium hydrogen sulphate. With a bit of juggling of numbers you could get EI dosing by reducing the corresponding salts that are usually used. This would enable you to use less stable chelates to deliver iron and other transition metal ions. This is the path that I chose when I noticed an upward drift in pH in my tank. If you do go down this route then dilute phosphoric acid is easier to use than the concentrated.

Nice tank & planting.

Yes I had thought about it and dismissed it due to only thinking about using RO water, Thought I would try the more stable chelates first as thought it may be an easy solution to the problem. Hadn't looked into using other solutions to reduce the pH so thanks for the heads up M8 :thumbup:. I had thought about moving to a soft water area also :joyful:

Hi all,
After a week of dosing and an Fe EDDHA weekly dose of 0.6ppm its quite red
If it bothers you I wouldn't necessarily add iron every week. I'd use the colour as an indication of when to add iron, so basically when the water is no longer pink tinged add some more.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,If it bothers you I wouldn't necessarily add iron every week. I'd use the colour as an indication of when to add iron, so basically when the water is no longer pink tinged add some more.

cheers Darrel

Was thinking about that option and was going to pm you about doing it.
So make the trace mix without the iron in dose other trace elements normal and just add Iron manually with other stock solution till slight pink top up as required

You need an iron dosing peristaltic pump channel connected to your PLC, bit of Logo SoftComfort fiddling. Job done.

You need an iron dosing peristaltic pump channel connected to your PLC, bit of Logo SoftComfort fiddling. Job done.

It did cross my mind already :lol:

so basically when the water is no longer pink tinged add some more

The more I think about using the slight pink tinge as a gauge the more I like it. Yes I can add Fe DTPA to the micro mix but with it breaking down with light and it only being soluble during the peak CO2 periods having it dosing to yield say Fe 0.3ppm then having a slight pink tinge in the tank seems a plan

so basically when the water is no longer pink tinged add some more.
Trust Darell to come up with an unusual solution!!

btw is it possible for you to alter your spectrum. Wonder whether increasing blue to counteract the tint a little?

btw is it possible for you to alter your spectrum. Wonder whether increasing blue to counteract the tint a little?

Possibly could can it a little, when the glowlux T5 tubes come on its very red, plus the redness will be worse next week as [FeEDDHA] will only be reduced 50-60% with the WC (minus what the plants have used OFC). Tank appears darker too so I would imagine the PAR intensity reaching the plants has decreased as well, but without a PAR meter no way of measuring any difference so just a guess.

If using the 'pink tinged' works as a way to measure and control the Fe needed/used by the plants I can see no reason why I cant use the amount of FeEDDHA used and the ppm the tank uses a week and alter my EI dose to the same ratio, makes sense to me anyway.

Dosed 0.3ppm Fe DTPA via auto doser this week and 0.08ppm Fe EDDTA so I had a slight pink/red tinge to the water. The Fe EDDTA was dose at 0.05ppm on first Micro day had slight tingle and added a further 0.03ppm on second micro day. On last micro day of the week I didnt dose any Fe EDDTA yet the tank got more red. I think the Fe DTPA may be recharging the Fe EDDTA as the Fe DTPA gets degraded by the light

Pic of the Anubis showing signs of Fe deficiency as it starts its recovery
upload_2019-3-30_18-46-41.png

Hygrophila pinnatifida hasn't picked up yet :arghh: but only been two weeks ;)

My SAE have got a taste for my RCS :facepalm: so have had to find a new home for them

Yep those SAE are far too big. I move em on once they get to 6cm. They will eat far worse than your RCS. Mine had eaten almost all my moss and AR mini.

Yep those SAE are far too big. I move em on once they get to 6cm. They will eat far worse than your RCS. Mine had eaten almost all my moss and AR mini

That's crazy!
Ive 17 SAE in my tank, but there is plenty of algea for them :D

Will keep an eye out though.

Fil

My RCS have boomed no end since the SAE was taken out, so hundreds of tiny mouths cleaning all the time rather than a few, plus splash of bright red all over the place.

What is your feeling on flow now you've had the gyres a while? Is it too much at high flow?
I'm debating gyres vs tunze 6040's vs aqamai kps/m My main challenge is going to be circulation ar depth as the tank is 3ft long but 30inchs deep...

Is it too much at high flow?

Yes if you was running them at that all the time. Its just like my car it it do over 100MPH but never had the need to do it. But being able to turn them up when Turkey blasting the carpet and to have them on a high speed for 5mins every hour or so I think is a great bonus, slower speeds at night etc etc

What is your feeling on flow now you've had the gyres a while?

Great buy for my tank/setup :D:D:D Great, programmable output via a schedule with 24 slots and no plumbing easy to clean, plus dont have to worry about the filter output either so could probably fit a smaller filter ;)

Its been a while since some pics so though I little update was due
Trimmed my trident back hard in early April 2019
it was
upload_2019-6-30_21-14-4.png

to
upload_2019-6-30_21-15-34.png

Purchased some new pH electrodes and some testing solutions to calibrate my pH probes and pens and turned out my water wasn't as alkaline as I thought - turns out my tap water after 24hrs is about 8.5pH
upload_2019-6-30_21-20-55.png

Have recently (Sunday) reprogrammed my PLC so the pH controller does nothing but record the time it takes to get to the target pH then I just set the PLC to do the CO2 boost ( CO2 injection x2) for that period then down to single CO2 injection. Worked a treat today as at the end of the CO2 period it was at the same pH as the target pH :D I have done this as it saves having to re calibrate the pH probe as it varies over time OFC

Have just been on Holiday so no water change for 3 weeks and no change in photoperiod or intensity same ferts as normal, daughter popped in every couple of days dropped an algae pellet in and a little food. Did a 50% WC on Friday and tidied up a bit and not too bad at all.

Did a Vid nothing professional OFC - took me longer than I thought :rolleyes:

So thats 4 days after WC and a quick clean only, Pre three weeks no maintenance - carpet needs a trim IMO

Back